This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1107600

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, RECTORY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Instow

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1965

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 98794

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

INSTOW RECTORY LANE, Instow Town SS 43 SE 1/90 Church of St John the Baptist 25.2.65 GV I Parish Church. Late C13/early C14 fabric to chancel. Perpendicular nave, west tower, south transept and north aisle, the latter added in 1547. Restored 1872-3 by William White. Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gable ends. West tower, nave, chancel, south transept and porch, north aisle. West tower of 3 stages. Short diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet with tall rectangular stair turret on south-east side. Single light bell-openings with louvres, cusped-headed to top stage, ogee-headed to 2nd stage on north and south sides, the latter with straight-headed single light window to base. Perpendicular 4-light window to west side with human head corbels to pointed arched hoodmould above Perpendicular doorway with hollow-with-cyma recta moulded surround. Nave south side has 2 straight-headed windows that to left of 2 cusped-headed lights, that to right of 3 rounded-arched lights, both with hoodmoulds, flanking south porch. C19 pointed arched doorway with door of 2 boarded leaves, the upper part glazed with stained glass leaded lights. Plain chamfered pointed arched inner doorway. Unceiled porch waggon roof without mouldings. South transept window of 3 trefoil-headed stepped lights with pointed arched hoodmould. 2-light window on east side with quatrefoil tracery to head of 2 ogee-headed lights. Chancel south side has 2 cusped-headed light window with Y bars to left and tall single light lancet renewed in C19 to right of cusped headed priests doorway. 2 C19 straight- headed windows to east end of chancel and north aisle. 4 straight-headed early C16 Perpendicular windows to north side of north aisle with gentle ogee heads to the lights. Slightly projecting rood loft stair turret with segmental arched doorway. 2 buttresses towards west end. 3-light C19 window at west end of north aisle. Interior: continuous north arcade of 4 bays with Pevsner 'A' type piers with foliated capitals to chancel pier and respond. Capitals to nave piers record erection of north aisle by "Rycharde Waterman (and) Emma His Wyf" in 1547. Ceiled waggon roof to north aisle with carved bosses at each intersection of the moulded ribs and longitudinal members, and carved timber wall plates. Similar roof to south transept with single moulded rib and crenellated timber wall plates with carved decoration. C19 chancel roof and some reused timbers to arch-braced nave roof. Unmoulded semi-circular headed tower arch. C19 sedilia and piscina. Chancel floor retains patterns of Barnstaple tiles. C19 chancel and C20 nave furniture including timber screen of 1906-11 across nave and north aisle. Lead- lined bowl to Norman font of block-capital shape on round stem. Section of probably reused C17 communion rail to west end tower gallery with turned balusters and moulded handrail. Monuments: 2 C17 wall monuments in south transept east and west walls to Downe family, father and son respectively. East side, square tablet with Ionic colonettes and skull in base. West side, swan-necked pediment with central shield above medallion with bust of male figure in bold relief, leaning on skull and clasping book. Verse plaque below. Wall monument, north wall of north aisle by J Kendall of Exeter to Humphrey Sibthorp, botanist, d.1797. At east end of north aisle, tablet with moulded stone surround to Rebecca Prince d.1685 with oval tablet above to Frederick Holmes d.1822. Stained glass to north aisle and chancel east windows, to chancel lancet to H Hinchcliff d.1906, to south transept east side by Myer and Co. to James Edward Allen (1886) and on south side to Richard White and Wife (d. 1884 and 1906). South side of nave to Thomas Lock (d.1860) and Captain Leonard Slater (d.1914).

Listing NGR: SS4797630989

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 47975 30987

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107600 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 05:59:14.

End of official listing