CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107658.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 21:18:04.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- Stoke Rivers
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 63331 35469
STOKE RIVERS STOKE RIVERS
SS 63 NW
4/150 Church of St. Bartholomew
Parish church, mainly late C15/early C16 but may be some earlier fabric. Some C18 work survives. Main restoration in 1880's and in 1905 by Tamlin, but possibly some earlier restoration work of 1831. Stone rubble with stone dressings. Slate roofs with coped gabled ends. West tower, nave, chancel, south aisle and south porch. Tower of 3 stages with embattled parapet and stone gargoyles to each corner polygonal stair turret to south side with 2 small traceried windows above 5 slits. Single angle buttress to north-east corner of tower, and diagonal buttresses to full height with offsets at south-west and north-west corners. C19 pointed-arched bell- openings of 2 trefoil-headed lights with quatrefoil tracery, the cusps clasping foliated centres. Similar 2-light opening to second stage south-side with pointed arched hoodmould and label stops. Perpendicular single cusped-headed niche below. West window of 3-lights with foliated emblem and human heads around the hollow moulded surround. Pointed arched west dorway with double roll-moulded surround. Plank door with metal lock dated 1769 and handle dated 1883. South aisle has one 2- light and two 2-light straight-headed windows in Perpendicular style with 4-centred arches to the lights. Diagonal buttresses to each end and 2 buttresses with offsets flank the right hand window. South porch with plain carved bargeboard. Slate sundial by John Berry dated 1770 above Perpendicular semi-circular headed doorway with cavetto flanked by cyma recta moulded surround. Plain plastered waggon roof with moulded timber wall plates. Similar round-arched inner door but without the right-hand cyma recta moulding. C19 plank doors, both to south porch and priests door towards east end with 4-centred arch and hollow chamfered and ovolo-moulded surround. C19 3-light east window to south aisle with intersecting tracery and hoodmoulded. Pointed arch to east window of 3 cinquefoil-headed lights with Perpendicular style tracery and hoodmould 4 buttresses to north side of chancel flanking 3 straight-headed Perpendicular windows with 3 four-centred arched lights but with much renewed stonework. Interior: pointed triple chamfered tower arch. South arcade of 4 bays with Pevsner 'B' type piers and block capitals without decoration. Plain plastered basket-arched ceilings to south aisle, nave and chancel possibly concealing earlier roof structure. C18 dado panelling, 2-panels high along nave and aisle walls. Medieval floor tiles survive in 3 groups, one near to base of tower arch, some reset around base of font and some very worn examples near to the south door. Stone font with round stem and bowl, undecorated with lead lining and C16 cone cover 8-sided with moulded ribs swept up to crocketted finial. Pulpit with octagonal drum with reused C16 bench ends on each of the exposed facets, 3 panels high to the sides, and two large panels to front all richly carved with repeated designs. Stem with scalloped capital reused. Altar table to south-side reuses C16 carved panelling with tall carved male figure on left side and male figure surmounted by female bust to right side. Apron rail between carved "Revd. C. Hiern Rector 1831 and J & P Tamlyn Churchwardens". C19 stone lecturn with 4 crocketted supporting brackets and tracery of 2-lights on each side with pointed trefoil heads. Stained glass to east window dated 1889. C17 chest in south aisle with carved lunettes above 3-panelled front. Painted Royal Arms on aisle west wall. Monuments: south side of aisle, from east end: weathered inscription to alabaster wall monument of 1661. Oval medallion with lozenge at top and roundels to side and base in scrolling surround. Two C19 marble tablets to Tamlyn family, one recording £200 bequest to education of poor children. 2 identical C19 marble wall monuments, one signed J. Clarke of Exeter to Hiern family. North side of nave from east, a late C18 pedimented marble tablet with oval medallion to Hunt family, wall monument to John Tamlyn died 1816 with square marble tablet below with Latin inscription to Henry Parmienter dated 1791 and high Victorian Gothic monument to John Hutton. Devon Churches Project
Listing NGR: SS6333235469
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing