- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- TOWN MILLS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107688 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 04:29:16.
- Statutory Address:
- TOWN MILLS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 59269 31107
LANDKEY LANDKEY TOWN
SS 53 SE
7/124 Town Mills
House including bakehouse. Possibly 1659 by dated frieze, though earlier fabric may be concealed. Extended c.1900 at right end. Colour painted rendered stone and cob. Extension in stone rubble with brick dressings. Thatch roof, hipped at left end to main range with brick ridge stack. Slate roof with stacks to each end of extension. Main range, 3 room cross passage plan bu t with axial stack heating hall and parlour. Continuous outshut to rear. Outbuilding formerly flour store at left end converted to part of dwelling with single storey bakehouse wing at right angles to front forming overall L-shaped plan. Extension of c.1900 at right end with higher roof level to main range. 2 storeys. 5 window range to main range, with added 2 window range to extension. C19/C20 casements, 2 light, 2-panes per light at left end otherwise 4 panes per light. Ground floor has plank door at left end and 2-light casement, 4-panes per light between 2 lean-to C20 porches, that to right has 1/2-glazed panelled door to cross-passage doorway with bay window to right, that to left has glazed door of 2 leaves. Interior: cross-passage has stud partitions to both sides, renewed to left side, 9 panels wide to right side with scroll-stopped and chamfered studs. Chamfered surrounds to rear passage doorway and to rear of hall with old 3 plank door. Scroll-stopped chamfered durns to door surround at head of stairs. Decorative moulded plasterwork frieze to parlour to left of stack obscured by later cupboards and plasterwork overmantel with moulded top and bottom rails dated 1659, the date flankign 3 plant design interspersed by pair of C.H. initials. Chamber over has moulded plasterwork cornice with vine motif to all 4 walls and plasterwork overmantel in early Classical style with 3 semicircular headed arches supported on thin pilasters, the arches continuing half a bay to each side, with plant design to each full bay. C18/C19 roof structure with 3 roughly pegged trusses with side- pegged collars and waney rafters. The purlins resting on the backs of the trusses.
Listing NGR: SS5926931107
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.