CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107750.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2020 at 11:14:02.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 45694 45190
SS 44 NE MORTEHOE MORTEHOE
1/208 Church of St Mary Magdalene - 25.2.65 GV I
Parish Church, C12 fabric to nave, probably largely rebuilt and extended in C13 when chancel and north tower were added. Early C14 south transept. In C16 nave heightened and reroofed and north aisle added, possibly replacing north transept in earlier cruciform plan. South porch and vestry probably also added C16. Restored and almost entirely refenestrated 1860 by R D Gould. Morte slates with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gable ends to nave and chancel with apex crosses. Rubble and ashlar gabletted stack to vestry. Tower of 2 stages with embattled parapet. Bell openings with louvres on four faces, 2 light to north and east, that on east face also with pointed-arched hoodmould, single light to west and south. Pointed north door with rough voussoirs and ventilation slit above. Buttress with offsets to west wall. Two 2-light windows to north aisle and single trefoil-headed 2-light window at its east end. 3-light pointed arched east window with human head corbels. 2 cavetto moulded lancet windows to north wall of chancel. Shoulder-headed priests door on south side flanked by 2-light trefoil- headed windows. South transept has single light trefoil-headed window on east and 2-light window on south side with label stops and short engaged columns and capitals to the inner face with floriated corbels. 4-light window with renewed tracery with 2-lights on each side splaying outwards from the angle of the south transept and nave. 2 single light windows to each side of nave and 3-light west window. South porch doorway with plain-moulded segmental arch and latticed framing and ledging to C19 inner plank door in unmoulded round-arched doorway. Barrel roof with moulded wooden spine, supported on carved and canellated wooden wall plates. Interior: Pointed arched doorway with rounded inner arch to tower, which has 2 blocked square-headed splayed windows on east side. Unceiled waggon roof to nave with moulded spine. Clerestory window above north aisle arcade of 3 lights with ferramentla. Ceiled wagon roofs to north aisle and south transept with carved bosses at the intersections of the ribs. 2-bay arcade to north transept of plain chamfered four-centred arches with single octagonal pier. Arcade to south transept of 1½ bays with four-centred arches supported on octagonal pier with moulded capital. Larger bay has blind trefoiled panelling to the intrados and wooden moulded lintel above. The smaller bay is created by the diagonal vaulted connection between transept and nave wall, perhaps to form a hagioscope to the south transept. Plain moulded pointed chancel arch with striking mosaic by Selwyn Image 1903 of ascending angels flanking representation of Lamb and Cross in central medallion. C19 piscina on north wall of chancel and stone carved reredos with pointed arched niches on each side with cusped headed inner arches supported on colonettes. C19 wooden altar table with altar frontals embroidered to Image's designs wineglass stone pulpit with double cusped-headed panels to each facet with ball flower ornamentation between and fleurons above and below. Nave has fine set of 17 pairs of C18 richly carved benchends and benches with moulded rails. Stained glass mostly by Beer of Exeter. Octagonal bowl to font on shaft with lipped capital and square base. Monuments: Tomb-chest in south transept probably to William de Tracey, early C14. Incised figure of priest with chalice on lid. 7 bays of blend arches with Decorated style tracery to south side, with floriated spandrels. Carved panel of crucifixion at west end. North side has from left to right 6 smaller cusped headed arches with 3 shields above. Then 2 arches similar to south side then 2 arches containing figures in low relief in the niches. Wall monument with original painted decoration on north wall at upper end of nave to Mary and Thos Newel, early C18. Oval medallion with large scallop above and putti each side in the swags and cherubs bust below on small consoles. Wall monument on west wall of south transept by Harry Hems of Exeter to Mary Heddon, died 1889. Outer and inner colonnettes flank cartouche of 3 female figures. C19 marble wall monument on south wall of transept by R Scamp of Ilfracombe.
Listing NGR: SS4569245192
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing