This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

REVELSTOKE PARK HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REVELSTOKE PARK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1107795

Location

REVELSTOKE PARK HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Newton and Noss

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1984

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Oct-2010

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 100434

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON AND NOSS

237/9/154 REVELSTOKE 19-JUL-84 Revelstoke Park House (Formerly listed as: REVELSTOKE Stoke House)

II A farmhouse, now in mixed domestic and office use, dating from the C17 or earlier with remodelling in the C19. The building is of two storeys, and is a five-bay structure, the easternmost two bays set slightly below the three bays towards the west; the west end is gabled and the east end is hipped. The three-window range has a ground floor C20 bay window, apart from which the windows are late-C19 or early-C20 timber casements of two lights with glazing bars. A C19 gabled porch with a chamfered-arch doorway set under a label moulding is set off-centre towards the east, inside which is a C17 panelled door with nail-studding. A large stack is set on the front wall at the break between the two ranges, with a moulded cap. The west end below the roof hip has a lean-to open porch.

MATERIALS: The building has roughcast rubble stone elevations set under slate roofs with tall roughcast stacks.

PLAN: The plan consists of a long single-depth range running east-west with outshuts and extensions to the rear.

EXTERIOR: The building is of two storeys, and is a five-bay structure, the easternmost two bays set slightly below the three bays towards the west; the west end is gabled and the east end is hipped. The three-window range has a ground floor C20 bay window, apart from which the windows are late-C19 or early-C20 timber casements of two lights with glazing bars. A C19 gabled porch with a chamfered-arch doorway set under a label moulding is set off-centre towards the east, inside which is a C17 panelled door with nail-studding. A large stack is set on the front wall at the break between the two ranges, with a moulded cap. The west end below the roof hip has a lean-to open porch.

HISTORY: Stoke House appears to have originated no later than the C17, as a farmhouse, set in an isolated position to the south of the small village of Noss Mayo, in the former manor of Stoke. Although the nearby estate of Membland was mentioned in Domesday there was no entry for Stoke, and the first record is in 1198, when Richard Revel was the lord of Stoke and gave it the name of Revelstoke. In 1226 the church of St Peter's on the cliffs at Stoke was built - it still stands, partially ruined, south of the site of Revelstoke Park House. In 1287 King Edward I gave Mathew Fitzjohn the manor of Stok, and so the village became known as Noss Mayo - Mathew's Nose. The fortunes of the area, mainly founded on fishing around the Yealm estuary, varied through the centuries, with the joining and division of land among the several local manors. Major changes came to Noss after 1877, the date of the purchase of Membland estate by Edward Baring, the 1st Lord Revelstoke, a member of the celebrated banking family. He transformed the C18 house (demolished in 1945, leaving only its outbuildings). In the remainder of the C19, many additions and improvements were made to the farm buildings around the estate, and it is likely that Revelstoke Park House was remodelled during this period. In 1895, the Barings bank crash brought financial disaster. The manor was sold, and in the subsequent sales in 1915 much of the property in and around Noss Mayo passed into private ownership. Revelstoke Park House appears to have remained largely unaltered since this period until the later C20, when a western porch and small first-floor extension were added. A caravan park was established in the grounds and, in the early C21, the house was partially converted to office use.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Revelstoke Park House is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * The house originated in the C17 or earlier as a farmhouse, and it retains a significant proportion of historic fabric from this phase of its development * Its C19 remodelling was of good quality, and does not detract from special interest of the earlier building

SOURCES: http://www.newtonnoss.co.uk/history.asp (accessed 24 Jan 2009)

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 56253 46760

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107795 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 12:30:48.

End of official listing