- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107820.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2020 at 19:30:05.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Hams (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 62782 51382
SX 65 SW HOLBETON
Large country house situated in a landscaped park formerly the seat of Lord Mildmay. The earliest part was built in C16 and substantially rebuilt circa 1620 for Sir Charles Hele. Additions of early and late C18. Heavily remodelled in Gothic Style in 1835 and again remodelled and extended in 1878 by R. Norman Shaw retaining the early C17 house to the south west. Built of rock-faced coursed limestone with granite dressings. The original C16 house to the south west is two storeyed with a five gabled west elevation the centre projecting and with a projecting gabled dining room wing to right (south west) thought to have originally been the great hall. The 1835 gothic style remodelling, obliterated the early and late C18 classical work. In 1878 Norman Shaw remodelled the whole house (except for the C16 south west parts), and rebuilt the north west kitchen wing and added the tower porch on the north side creating an enormous castellated Tudor style mansion, with asymmetrical elevations. Three storeys, rising to four and five storey towers. The long north entrance front has a large five-storey tower with turrets and a two-storeyed oriel over a four-centred arch porch doorway. Niches in the side walls of the tower contain figures. Semi-circular and splayed bays and oriels on the south and west elevations and a four storey square tower on the south east corner. Large three storey semi-circular bay in the south west angle. The south elevation of the kitchen wing has a square bay on the west end, an oriel near the centre and a massive stack between with set-offs and a cluster of circular flues. The stack is bridged over a service passageway beneath. Interior: Designed by Shaw but with some of the detailing by J.A. Heaton W H Lascelles and W.R. Lethaby. Richly decorated in Jacobean style with pannelling, Italianate plasterwork and elaborate chimneypieces. Features include a large framed staircase, gallery with double flight of stairs at one end and a galleried music room. Flete was a Saxon estate, the manor being held by the Damarell family from 1066 to Edward III. References: Country Life Vol. 38, November 29th 1915 Andrew Saint, "Richard Norman Shaw", pages 211 to 216
Listing NGR: SX6278251382
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Saint, A, Richard Norman Shaw, (1976), 211-216
'Country Life' in 29 November, , Vol. 38, (1915)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing