HIGHER HARESTON

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1107828
Date first listed:
29-Mar-1984
Statutory Address:
HIGHER HARESTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of HIGHER HARESTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107828 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 08:02:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
HIGHER HARESTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Brixton
National Grid Reference:
SX5660353433

Details

SX 55 SE BRIXTON 4/20 29/3/84 Higher Hareston

GV I

Former manor house with a chapel adjoining. Circa late C15 early C16 hall house in remarkably complete state. Stone rubble and granite dressings. Slate roof with gable ends. Hall solar and service wing, with parlour wing extension and chapel. The hall has large four-light window with four-centred arch lights, chimney stacks on front left with set off and moulded cap. Two-storeyed porch, to left of stack, to screens passage, with moulded battlements and cable mould string, two-light 1st floor window and moulded four-centred arch doorway with carved spandrels and label. The cable mould string continues to left over gable of service wing to left (south) which also has two-light windows and side stack with moulded cap and buttresses with set-offs. The solar at the north end has stacks over the gable ends also with moulded caps, and extends at the back to a parlour wing forming an L-shaped plan.. Over the side of the wing another stack with moulded cap. Continuous roll moulded four-centred arch doorway on the south side of the parlour and a small gabled stair tower in the angle at the rear. At the back of hall a two-light window with central arch lights and buttress with set offs. The rear door of screen's passage has four-centred arch and roll moulding. Small circa C16 chapel licensed in 1378 and 1399, on front (north east) of solar wing, has moulded four-centred arch doorway with label. The service end once extended at rear with a kitchen wing and a linhay which enclosed the courtyard. The kitchen wing and linhay were destroyed in a fire in 1750 but the outer walls of the kitchen wing and linhay survive one with a granite doorway with roll moulding. Interior: The front door arch of the screen's passage is four-centred and has continuous roll moulding. The screen has been largely rebuilt in C20, but retains some of the original fabric and is jettied above with moulded bressumers supporting an upper screen. The hall's later floor has been removed, now open to roof which has arch braces to the collar and carved wind braces. Moulded granite chimneypiece with ogee head, to hall fireplace. At the higher end of the hall moulded, doorways to solar and stairs. Similar door in cross passage to the buttery. Small stone squint from solar to hall. Over the porch are the Wood and Fortescue family arms. John Wood, who died in 1537, may have built the house. Ref: Transactions of the Devonshire Association 106, 1974, 119-40.

Listing NGR: SX5660553433

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100301
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 106, (1974), 119-40

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/01772/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Roseveare. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].