BARN AND SHIPPEN APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF SPRIDDLESTONE BARTON FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107860
Date first listed:
19-Jul-1984
Statutory Address:
BARN AND SHIPPEN APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF SPRIDDLESTONE BARTON FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN AND SHIPPEN APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF SPRIDDLESTONE BARTON FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107860 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 06:51:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN AND SHIPPEN APPROXIMATELY 50 METRES SOUTH SOUTH EAST OF SPRIDDLESTONE BARTON FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Brixton
National Grid Reference:
SX 53206 51509

Details

SX 55 SW BRIXTON SPRIDDLESTONE 3/7 Barn and Shippen approximately 50 metres south south east of Spriddlestone Barton Farmhouse



II

Bank barn with shippen below. Circa late C18 with early C19 extension at north west end. Incorporating some circa C16 and C17 reused material. Stone rubble with granite dressings. The circa C17 granite lintels are chamfered or moulded and reused lintels and jambs are from an earlier house on the site. Slurried slate roof with half-hipped gable ends. Long two storey range built into the bank. Shippen doors at ground level. Loft doors above; one has external stone steps. Barn doors at ground level at rear. Small C19 shippen and loft extension at right angles on south east end. Interior: some reused moulded ceiling beams and lintels. Spriddlestone was the seat of a branch of the Fortescue family from circa 1355 to 1785. The large medieval house, which was enlarged in C16, has gone, but some of the material has been reused in this farm building and in another outbuilding approximately 40 metres east of Spriddlestone Barton Farmhouse qv.

Listing NGR: SX5320651509

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100288
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].