This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ROMAN SARCOPHAGUS IN GARDEN AT WITHINGTON HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROMAN SARCOPHAGUS IN GARDEN AT WITHINGTON HALL

List entry Number: 1107883

Location

ROMAN SARCOPHAGUS IN GARDEN AT WITHINGTON HALL, HOLMES CHAPEL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cheshire East

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lower Withington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 59163

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WITHINGTON C.P. (off) HOLMES CHAPEL ROAD SJ 87 SW

6/123 Roman Sarcophagus in Garden at Withington Hall -

GV II*

Sarcophagus. Early third century. Marble. Bowl with straight sides and rounded ends, missing cover. Front: Central panel showing three graces in high relief, the central figure with her back turned, those to either side facing, all dressed in knotted hymata to lower bodies. Panels of S-shaped flutings to either side. Figures of husband and wife in high relief to either end each with a smaller figure at their feet. The faces of these four figures having only been blocked in. Straight vertical flutings to either end with cable to lower half of each flute. The flutings extend to half way around each end after which the outline of arabesque patterns have been roughly blocked in. The rear is plain. Similar sarcophogi exist at Penrice Castle, Glamorgan, and the Villa Ferrauiulo, Albano. Source: Journal of Roman Studies, 1938, article by G Rodenwalt.

Listing NGR: SJ8114472221

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Rodenwal, G, 'Journal of Roman' in Journal of Roman, (1938)

National Grid Reference: SJ 81144 72221

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107883 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2017 at 02:14:20.

End of official listing