START POINT LIGHTHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107958
Date first listed:
25-Mar-1991
Statutory Address:
START POINT LIGHTHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of START POINT LIGHTHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107958 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 02:09:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
START POINT LIGHTHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Stokenham
National Grid Reference:
SX 82942 37116

Details

STOKENHAM SX83NW Start Point Lighthouse 10/173 26.1.67 GV II

Lighthouse 1836 by James Walker engineer, with minor alterations of 1871. Tarred and white-painted granite ashlar with cast-iron lantern roofed in copper. Tall circular tower of about 28 metres high with moulded plinth and pedestal stage and 2 diminishing stages above that, the top stage with a corbelled embattled parapet and a cast-iron lattice lantern with a copper canopy surrounded by weatervane. Rectangular and small round-headed window openings with plain raised architraves and blind panel on west side under the parapet. On the north and south sides there are 2 entrance porches, that on the south side blocked an with a 4-centred arch hoodmould; the doorway to the north porch has a Tudor arch and botn have raised parapets with Trinity House arms. Interior: There is a cantilevered granite staircase around the inside well of the tower with an iron balustrade with a cast-iron newel. The lighthouse originally had the keepers' living accommodation on the ground and first floor but the floor was taken out in 1871 when new keepers' houses were built nearby. The lens is developed from the dioptic system designed by Alan Stevenson, the first of this kind to be used by Trinity House. The light was powered by oil until 1959 when it was electrified. Originally the fog-sounder was a bell mounted outside, but this was soon replaced, in about 1851, because the new steam ships could not hear the bell. Source: Trinity House. Douglas B. Hague and Rosemary Christie, "Lighthouses".

Listing NGR: SX8294237116

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
99957
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hague, B, Christie, R, Lighthouses their Architecture History and Archaeology, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08641/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].