SX 64 NE VILLAGE CENTRE
1307/5/179 Church of All Hallows
Anglican parish church. Mainly late C13 or early C14, but some remains of C12
work. Rubble, some rendering to tower, slate roofs, terracotta ridge tiles.
Nave, north transept, chancel with north chapel, tower south side of nave over
porch. Square tower with half-height diagonal buttresses, projecting crenellated parapet on corbel table, small set-back octagonal stone spire. South front has plain pointed outer arch to barrel vaulted porch over richly modelled inner doorway. Lancet over outer door and to bell chamber; lancet on east side,
mid height slits to 3 faces, slate sundial. To right is lean-to roof over stair
projection; left and right in nave a 2-light plate tracery window with quatre-
foil under drip; diagonal buttress to west, angle buttress to east. Chancel has
similar 2-light plate, but with sexfoil, and large triple lancet with drip over
plate tympanum. Simple chamfered priest's door. East end has triple lancet the
same; angle buttresses. North side has attached chapel, lancet to east, lancet
and square-headed doorway, heavy buttress at west end. North transept has two
Norman lights to the east, and two single offset buttresses, not at corner.
North side has 3 stepped lancets under a relieving arch, some evidence of small
opening above. Heavy offset plinth. West side windowless, but 3 heavy but-
tresses. North side of nave has two 2-light C19 windows with quatrefoils, and
west end has a sexfoil light set high; no doorway. Interior: plastered walls,
slate and tile floor, barrel vault roof, formerly plastered, high door to tower
stair. Plain chancel arch with C19 painting above, and plain arch to north
transept which includes a 2-light opening in the arch; roof as nave, but lower,
opening to east chapel, up 2 steps. Chancel has barrel roof, tiled floor, cham-
fered rear-arches; the east window has hexagonal C13 style colonnettes. Wood
grille to north chapel. Cusped piscina with credence shelf. Chancel roof 1915
in memory of F C and M J Hingeston-Randolph.
SOURCE: Buildings of England, [South Devon 1952], [Devon 1989 p.701].
Listing NGR: SX6526845993