CHURCH OF ST GEORGE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108059.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 17:22:31.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Hams (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 65599 51549
MODBURY CHURCH LANE
Church of St George
Anglican parish church, formerly a dependency of Modbury Priory. Mainly early C14, but refenestration in C15; spire of C14 struck by lightning in 1621 but rebuilt in original form. Coursed rubble, granite dressings, slate roofs, stone spire. Nave, west tower and spire, north and south aisles, north and south transepts, south chantry chapel, chancel with undercroft, 2-storey south porch. Square and lofty tower of severe design, buttressed to 3 offsets, but terminating at 1/4 height; corresponding offsets in west and north walls. West face has renewed 4-light uncusped without hood mould, and small cusped single light with louvres to each face of ringing chamber. Small door north side; clock face to east. Tall broach spire with small lucarne to each face, rises direct from tower without parapet or transitional feature. South side has porch with battlements and attached octagonal stair turret. 2-light window to square head with dripmould over arched opening with flush voussoirs to outer plank doors; inner door has moulded surround to C19 door. Segmental pointed ribbed barrel roof to porch, which has no intermediate floor. To right are three 4-light Perpendicular windows, the easternmost brought lower than the others, divided by simple buttresses; corbel table to eaves. Transept has 4-light uncusped window set high, to thin hoodmould. To right is wall of chantry chapel with two 4-light windows set high, uncusped except in spandrel openings. Battlements square buttress with 2 offsets, to pinnacle bases (not carried above parapet) and diagonal corner buttress. Narrow door in C16 basket-handle arch below a flat pointed arch above horizontal dripmould. East end of chapel has 5-light uncusped window in four-centred arch. South side of chancel has 3-light similar uncusped above C19 2-light in square stopped hood. Main east window is C14 design 5-light cusped above a C16 2-light with square stopped hood, and north side of chancel plan, with small embattled vestry and door. North wall has two 4-light uncusped, then rood-stair turret under swept-down roof in corner to transept which has 3-light Perpendicular window. Priest's door to basket-handle head with recessed mould between windows of north chancel chapel, and to right of transept window a richly carved C16 door surround with Tudor head but with a Jacobean frieze and some egg and dart enrichment. Below the window a projecting tomb recess with quatrefoil light. Right of transept a 4-light uncusped in brought forward wall section, then north aisle wall with a 4-light Perpendicular and 4-light round arched uncusped, with 2 buttresses with 2 offsets. West return has blocked doorway between buttresses and a small segmental-headed C14 2-light adjacent to tower. Interior: nave has 3 broad pointed bays to crude chamfered arches on plain square cavetto caps to octagonal piers without bases, plain bay before tower with attached pilaster to double chamfered arch, the outer chamfer carried down to pyramid stop; at tower end raised 3 steps. Stone flag floor, some concrete, ribbed barrel roof, continuous through crossing bay. North aisle has ribbed barrel roof same height as nave, bay 3 sets out c.l m. South aisle with ribbed barrel as nave but slightly lower, rere-arches to high-set windows, plain wall beyond arcade at west end containing C19 baptistery. At the east end a moulded granite arch carried on a corbel respond on the south side. The crossing has 3 arches with wave and hollow mould carried on trumpet capitals, decorated on the east side. South transept opens to aisle and east chapel, has two early C14 tomb niches with double cusping; one contains C15 alabaster effigy. North transept has vestry screen and organ; basket-handle arch door in east wall. Very rich C14 tomb recess with damaged figures, north wall. Chancel 2-bay 4-centred wave and hollow mould arches to 4 hollows and shafts columns with decorated capitals; plain walls to sanctuary, multi-ribbed barrel ceiling in 42 compartments. Chantry chapels both have ribbed barrel ceilings. Fittings: C19 font on 8 colonnettes; pulpit made up from panels of C15 screen, on tapered octagonal base; reading desk a very fine carved memorial to the 1914-18 war, and opposite this a simplified version of 1952 to Reuben Mears; good Eagle lectern. No glass of significance. Monuments: see transepts; also in naves, high on south side, coloured 1639 tablet, with 5 children, in north aisle several tablets, the best of these of 1690 to John de Train, in classical design; upright against south wall of south chantry, to Philip Champernown, 1684. A fine incised slab, with a signature (7) OELIVIO. (Pevsner, N, South Devon, 1952, Slader, J M, Churches of Devon, 1968).
Listing NGR: SX6560451548
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952)
Slader, J M , The Churches of Devon, (1968)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing