CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1108148

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1989

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108148 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 17:32:16.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: Churchstow

National Grid Reference: SX 71248 45911

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCHSTOW VILLAGE CENTRE SX 74 NW 5/77 Church of St Mary GV II* Anglican Parish Church, formerly dependency of Buckfast Abbey. C14 and C15. Coursed slate-stone, granite dressings, slate roof. West tower, nave, conti- nuous to chancel, north transept, south aisle and chantry chapel taken through to east wall of chancel, 2-storey porch west and of south aisle. Tower in 3 stages, each slightly inset to weathered string course, full height set-back buttresses with offsets; central octagonal stair turret on south face rising to battlement above battlemented parapet on continuous corbel. West front has near-round arch to C19 door under 3-light C15 window in to rows of voussoirs to relieving arch, drip course. Small 2-light traceried windows to bell chamber, square-headed light above ridge to east face, round-headed light to top stage, left of stair turret. Aisle west end has 3-light to round arch, and wall in same place as porch. Porch has diagonal buttresses to 2 offsets, 2-light C16 window to square label over 4-centred Tudor doorway, heavy moulded square drip course; plinths have 2+2 panels with quatrefoils or rosettes. Interior slate floor, stone benches, flat ceiling, inner door to 4-centre head in simple mould. 'South aisle' and chapel has five 3-light windows with rounded heads and segmental drips to horizontal stops, divided by 4 butresses to 2 offsets, and corner buttress. Last bay includes priest's door to 4-centred head. High coped verges to two east gables with terminal cross to chancel, and each with 3-light C19 Perpendicular window, below which a course of large squared granite blocks set flush, and cut well down into the churchyard. On return a C19 vestry, 2-light square-headed window with stopped drip; outer gable with square stack. North side of chancel has a 2-light C15, then a squint window with its own flat-pitched covering. North transept has a small early C14 light in east wall, north wall with 3-light C15, no quoins or dripstone. West wall plain but a high plinth to c.2 m; high coped verge. Nave has a 3 light proto-Perpendicular window, then 3 buttresses to 2 offsets and plinth in plain wall. Interior: tower has heavey double-chamfer arch on simple responds; nave to slate slab floor, plain plastered and scribed north wall, 4 bay granite arcade on standard 4 hollows and four shafts to heavy capitals. Barrel roof in 4x12 compartments with moulded and stopped ribs and bosses; this carries through in 4 x 7 compart- ments to chancel, with no chancel arch; raised on one step, slate floor, C20 altar and reredos. Walls plastered as nave. North door to vestry. South aisle similar to nave, 4 x 12 compartment barrel ceiling carried through as 4 x 7 compartment ceiling to chantry chapel. Deep, narrow north transept, slate floor, plain walls, access for rood stair, squint 4 x 4 compartment barrel ceiling. Fittings: good C19 pulpit on flared base, incorporating some C15 panels. Standard pews throughout, possibly late C18 or C19 return ends to choir stalls, facing nave, possibly medieval. Font has square bowl with some arca- ding, possibly C12, on Victorian base. C19 screen to tower arch. Monuments: small detached panel with coat of arms, and in good frame, near pulpit; 1715 to John Petters Esq er, Coustemer of Devon, gave 20/- yearly. Some good slate floor slabs, and in south chantry chapel a variegated marble one to Samell Ryder, Armiger 1727 (Aet 35) and Martyn Ryder 1723 (Aet 80). East window to Edward and Ann Harding, 1970, signed: A good church with little C19 modification, and a fine upstanding tower visible from many of the surrounding parishes. The un-traceried windows characteristic of many in Devon and Cornwall using the intractable granite for construction.

Listing NGR: SX7124845911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 99522

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing