CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108232.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Oct-2020 at 00:37:45.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Hams (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 78352 56208
15/431 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Harbertonford was made into a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1860. 1859-60 by J N Nottidge. Slate and local stone rubble with freestone dressings. Slate roof with stone coping to gable ends with moulded kneelers and stone apex crosses. Crested ridge tiles. The pyramidal chancel roof has iron cross at apex. small moulded corbels in angles of transepts and moulded stringcourse at sill level rising up to higher sill levels. Buttress with set offs on south side of nave. Plan: Cruciform plan consists of nave, apsidal end to chancel, north and south transepts with spire of the crossing, a vestry in the south west angle and a north porch. Gothic style with Early English and Decorated style details. Exterior: 2-light decorated style north and south windows, west window of south transept and east window of north transept, all without hoodmoulds. 3-light nave west window with intersecting tracery and 3-light north window of north transept with trefoil tracery, both with hoodmoulds with head stops. The south transept has 2 cusped lancets and 3-sided rose window in the gable with mouchettes around a central trefoil. Contemporary lean-to vestry in the south east angle with chancel with a moulded doorway on south side and tall chimney stack at junction with transept, with shaft with gabled cap and set offs. Row of 3 lancets on east side of vestry. The 3-sided apse to changel has pairs of cusped lancets with hoodmoulds with head stops. The chancel north window is similar but single lancet. Gabled south porch with Early English style doorway with shafts, with moulded capitals and deeply moulded high pointed arch with a hood mould; scissor braced porch roof and inner doorway with plank foor with cover moulds. At the crossing the intersecting roofs hve 3 large slated broaches on top of which is an octagonal timber bellfry with lourvres, cusped arches and brackets supporting an octagonal slated timber spire with an ornate iron weathervane. Interior: Scissor brace truss roofs to nave and north and south transepts on ashlar posts supported on corbels. Boarded between ashlaring with frieze of pierced trefoils. The crossing is spanned by a timber roof of straight raters rising from small arch braces at the corners to an octagon which carried the spire. The apsidal chancel roof has arch braces rising from corbels and meeting at the apex, above which is a short king-post and struts. The boarded ashlaring with frieze of trefoils continues in the chancel. The apse windows have moulded shafts, stiff-lead capitals, cusped heads and hoodmoulds with headstops and stiff-leaf carving. The only stained glass is in the apse windows and appears to be contemporary and depicts scenes from the lift of St Peter. Contemporary furnishings largely complete including softwood benches, pulpit, simple screen at west end and font. Organ dated 1886-7. Plaque on south wall of nave "In memory of Thomasene Anthony of Great Englebourne, who built and partly endowed this church in the year 1859".
Listing NGR: SX7835256208
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing