This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TAILRACE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TAILRACE

List entry Number: 1108233

Location

TAILRACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Harberton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Aug-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Feb-2010

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101337

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARBERTON

1309/15/350 HARBERTONFORD 30-AUG-88 TAILRACE (Formerly listed as: HARBERTONFORD OUTBUILDING IMMEDIATELY EAST SOUTH EAS T OF CROWDY MILL)

II Former outbuilding, c.1840.

MATERIALS: The building is constructed of local rubble stone. There is a slate roof with gabled ends and clay ridge tiles. The lean-to extension has red brick quoins.

PLAN: Rectangular on plan and backs onto Harbourne River with small opening at lower level. There is a modest rectangular stone lean-to structure attached to the south.

EXTERIOR: A two storey building. The south-west front has two large ground floor doorways with timber lintels. Above the right hand doorway is a loft door. There is also a former loft door, now a window, in the north-west gable end. An earlier round gate-pier is incorporated into the north-west gable end below the window. The north-east front, facing the river, has a small window and has been raised at some stage. The attached lean-to structure to the south is single storey.

INTERIOR: Not Inspected (2009)

HISTORY: Mount Dart is not on the 1840 tithe map, but is shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1888. Crowdy Mill itself is a late-C17/ early-C18 mill, possibly with earlier origins. The mill was enlarged circa 1840, which is probably when Tailrace was built as a barn or cart shed. The building was extended to the south in the C20. The building is currently in residential use.

REASON FOR DESIGNATION

Tailrace is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Although it has undergone sub-division, iterations and extensions, the building remains a characterful C19 former farm building. * It has a strong group value with nearby associated listed buildings, including Crowdy Mill.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 79068 56051

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108233 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2017 at 01:33:59.

End of official listing