- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- YARNER BARN
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108349 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Jun-2019 at 06:55:29.
- Statutory Address:
- YARNER BARN
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Hams (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 78200 61910
SX7861 - SX7961 Yarner Barn
Barn converted into a house. Probably C17, converted into a house in 1931 to 1932 Rex Gardner and R Heming for the Dartington Hall estate for the use of P Elmhurst the brother of L K Elmhurst. Rendered local limestone rubble. Thatched roof, hipped at right hand end and half-hipped at left hand end, and with pronounced camber to the ridge and slightly eyebrowed eaves. The rear wing has a slate hipped roof with an axial ridge stack with a rendered shaft and lowered concrete pot rising from the back wall of the main building. Plan: Originally a barn on an east-west axis, the left hand east end built into the hillside with access at the first floor level in the left end wall to the barn; below the barn there was probably originally a shippon. In 1931 to 32 the whole building was converted into a house and extended. The barn entrance was retained as the main entrance of the higher left hand end giving access to an entrance hall which leads to the principal living room on the first floor while the bedrooms are on the ground floor and an integral tool shed under the entrance hall. The extension consists of a rear service wing; the ground floor a garage and the first floor a kitchen and servants flat. The garage had since been converted to the kitchen. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical range with 4 first floor windows and 2 doorways and 4 ground floor windows not aligned under the first floor windows. C20 2 and 3-light metal-frame casements with leaded panes and slate cills. Doorway slightly to right of centre with C20 metal frame glazed double doors and slated canopy and a narrow doorway to left to the toolshed with a plank glazed door. At the left hand end approached from higher ground level a wide first floor doorway with rough timber lintel and C20 double doors. At the right hand of the rear wall a circa early C17 wooden 4-light chamfered mullion window with mason's mitres, 2 of the mullions are missing. At the centre of the back a wide hipped roof wing with steps in the right hand angle giving access to the first floor doorway. Interior: The entrance hall is lined in veneered flush panelling and the wide doorway into the principal first floor room has double folding doors which slide into the walls on either side. At the rear east end of this large first floor room a slightly raised dais as in a great hall. At the back of this room a wide low fireplace with splayed jambs, a cambered concrete lintel and a chamfered timber shelf on stone corbels. Roof: 7 bays at the right hand end have trusses with collars halved and pegged to the faces of the principals, the apexes halved and lapped. At the west end there is one earlier cloud truss with a morticed collar and threaded purlins and threaded diagonal ridge-piece. There is a hip cruck at the west end, its foot cut off over the entrance doorway. The feet of all the other trusses are straight and set in the wall tops.
Listing NGR: SX7820061910
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing