LONGCAUSE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1108350

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1952

Statutory Address: LONGCAUSE HOUSE, BARRACKS HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of LONGCAUSE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108350 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2018 at 13:52:54.

Location

Statutory Address: LONGCAUSE HOUSE, BARRACKS HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams (District Authority)

Parish: Dartington

National Grid Reference: SX 79186 61139

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DARTINGTON SX7861 - SX7961 BARRACKS HILL, LONGCAUSE 13/111 Longcause House 11.11.52 II

House. Built in 1823 or 1825. Said to have been designed by J Brown of Exeter. Stuccoed stone rubble, simple spare slate hipped roof with sprocketted eaves overhanging on paired brackets. Over the centre of the ridge on hexagonal timber bellcote with a tent-shaped lead or zinc roof with a ball finial and weather vane. Rendered chimney stacks one on the right (north east) side and 2 to left of ridge, each with 3 octagonal shafts with short yellow clay pots. Plan: Rectangular plan of 3 rooms deep; 2 principal front rooms and a central entrance hall/passage leading to a stairwell behind the right hand room and a small office/study behind the left hand room. The central passage continues to a rear doorway and to either side there is the kitchen to the right, behind the stair well with its own stairs to the servant's quarters, and to the left, behind the study, a room which was possibly the servant's hall. Exterior: 2 storeys. South east front: symmetrical 3 bays. Large original 12-pane sashes, the ground floor cills almost at ground level. Wide central doorway with moulded doorframe and hall glazed double doors with pattern of margin and arched glazing bars and bottom panels; wide portico with 2 pairs of rendered Doric columns and pilasters supporting an establishment with a moulded cornice. The south west garden front, left hand return, is longer and has wider spaced 3 bays of similar sash windows, but no doorway. The right hand return, north east side has irregular fenestration, 12-pane sash on ground and first floor to left of centre and tall central round- arched stair window with glazing bars radiating at top. C20 garage adjoining right. The rear, north west, is 3 bays, smaller 12-pane first floor sash windows, the ground floor with blind segmental fanlights above and central doorway with moulded doorframe with pilasters and flush-panel door with rectangular fanlight in blind recess. Interior: is largely intact and most of its original joinery is preserved including doors and window shutters etc and most of the original plasterwork survives. The hall has a five groin vaulted plaster ceiling leading to the stair well with an open-well stairs with stick balusters and weathered handrail, open string with shaped tread ends. The stair well and landing ceilings have modillion cornices and elliptical arches with key- motif in the intrados. The modillion cornices and elliptical arches with key-motif in the intrados. The modillion cornices and elliptical arches with key-motif in the intrados. The front right hand room has moulded plaster cornice and frieze with Vitruvian scroll and shallow elliptically arched recess in rear wall. The front left hand has a moulded plaster cornices with a fish-scale pattern frieze. Moulded plaster ceiling centrepiece and round-headed niches either side of the fireplace. The chimney pieces in the front rooms have been replaced. The ground floor office has plaster cornice with egg and dart pattern. The servant's hall behind has a simple moulded plaster cornice. The kitchen has a C19 iron range. The cellars have brick groin vaults and access is from stairs in the kitchen. The house is said to have been built on the site of Longcause Barracks, of 1794, on the foundations of the officers' mess.

Listing NGR: SX7918661139

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 101024

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing