LOWER WASHBOURNE BARTON
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- LOWER WASHBOURNE BARTON
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108384 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 21:49:04.
- Statutory Address:
- LOWER WASHBOURNE BARTON
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Hams (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 80516 55259
SX85NW Lower Washbourne Barton
House; formerly a farmhouse. Circa early C17 or earlier, remodelled in late C17 and mid C18 and extended in circa 1830. Rendered stone rubble. Grouted scantle slate roof with gable ends and early hand-made crested ridge tiles. Axial and gable end stacks with rendered shafts, one at left hand end has pots made from vertically set slates; one axial stack has C19 brick shaft. The lateral stacks at the back of the rear wing have tall stone rubble shafts. Plan: The present house is a long 2-storey range of 4-room plan with a 2- storey wing at the rear right of the room to the left of centre. There is a 2-room plan range attached to the end of the wing parallel with the left end of the main range. Development: The original house is probably the 3 left hand rooms of the main range; It would have been a 3-room and cross or through passage plan, its lower left end room heated from a gable end stack, the hall heated from an axial stack at its lower left end and the inner room to the right has a gable end stack. The wing at the rear of the hall with a heated chamber above and unheated ground floor room may have been part of the original plan or a late C17 addition when the house was reorientated, the lower left end room becoming the parlour; in circa mid C18 the house was remodelled again the hall of the old house became a grand entrance hall with a fine open-well staircase inserted at its right end. On the landing there is a fine C18 doorway into the chamber over the former inner room. The large right hand room is now an outbuilding although the present owner reports that the first floor was formerly a ballroom. Whatever its original function it was probably added in the early C19 at the sometime as the parallel 2-storey service range was built attached to the rear wing behind the left had end of the main range. The back range contains the kitchen, dairy and back stairs to servants rooms. The date 1819 or 1831 one the weathervane of the cupola over the main range probably refers to the refenestration of the facade, the addition of the right hand outbuilding/ballroom and the rear service range. The date on the weathervane appears to be 1819 although according to the owner it is actually 1831, which would be consistent with the estimated 1830-40 date of the stables ((qv)) immediately to the east. Exterior: 2 storeys. Long asymmetrical 2:3 window range plus the blind front wall of the outbuilding to the right. Circa early C19 sashes, 12 panes to the first floor, tall 15-pane sashes to the ground floor with low sills, that to the centre replaced with a late C20 casement. Doorway to right of centre has a fine C18 Doric doorcase with fluted pilasters, cornice and frieze with triglyphs and mantles and a field panel door. Over the centre of the ridge a square wooden cupola has a weather vane pierced with initials:- S?D 1819? To the right the first floor of the outbuilding has ventilation slits, possibly in place of windows originally. The ground floor has wide openings with timber lintels for vehicle access. The rear wall of the main range has circa early C18 sash to left and some slate hanging to right on the first floor facing the yard. Also facing the yard the front wall of the parallel rear range has 3 very large C18 or early C19 sashes with glazing bars. The rear wall of the parallel back range is blind except for 1 C20 ground floor window and 2 lateral stacks which have tall stone rubble shafts. The gable end of the circa late C17 rear wing is set back to the left of the back range and has a short stone rubble stack with a dripstone and a late C18 or early C19 sash with glazing bars to the first floor chamber; the outer (lefthand) face of the wing has 2 C19 casements on the first floor and a C18 sash on the ground floor. To the left the ground level is higher and there is a first floor doorway to the outbuilding. Interior: Retains many interesting high quality features. The hall has a very good open-well open string staircase with carved scroll tread ends, 3 twisted and fluted balusters per bead, a moulded handrail ramped up to fluted column newels and weathered over the curtail newel; fielded panel dado to the stairs and hall. The hall has a moulded plaster ceiling cornice and the stairwell has a fine modillion cornice. The hall also has round-headed niches in the back wall and a china cupboard to the side of the fireplace which has lost its C18 chimneypiece exposing the finely dressed slate earlier fireplace which has a chamfered timber lintel with short run-out stops and a stone oven to the left. The parlour to the left of the hall has a good late C17 bolection moulded plaster ceiling with an oval centre and rectangular fields and an elaborate modillion cornice; a china cupboard and doorway with moulded cornices with pulvinated friezes and a fine large bolection moulded marble chimneypiece witch cornice that breaks forward at the centre; there is a large elliptically headed niche in the back wall of the parlour. The room to the right of the hall, the former inner room, was inaccessible but is said to have a Devon limestone chimneypiece. There is a fine C18 round-headed parallel door at the top o the stairs into the chamber over the former inner room. The first floor has many late C17 or C18 fielded 2-panel doors. The rear wing chamber also has fielded panel doors and a circa late C17 bolection moulded chimneypiece with a cornice. Roof: The roof over the main range has been raised, probably in the C19 and the entrance has soft wood trusses. The roof space over the rear wing is inaccessible but the foot of one of the straight principals is visible. A bell, lying in the stables (qv) to the east of the house, is dated 1602 and has name Henry (Somster?).
Listing NGR: SX8051655259
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing