SANDRIDGE PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1108493
Date first listed:
11-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
SANDRIDGE PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of SANDRIDGE PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108493 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 22:24:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
SANDRIDGE PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Stoke Gabriel
National Grid Reference:
SX 85990 56475

Details

SX 85 NE STOKE GABRIEL

8/111 Sandridge Park

11.11.52

- II*

Country house in landscaped grounds overlooking River Dart. Built in 1805. Architect John Nash for Lady Ashburton. Italianate style. Stuccoed stone rubble. Low pitched slate hipped roof with wide eaves with paired brackets to soffit. Asymmetrical plan. Two storeys, with two storey plus attic towers. 2:3:1 bays. Round-headed sash windows with glazing bars. Central three-bay segmentally bowed ground floor bay with wooden trelliswork once continued left and right around the house. Right hand (east) square tower of two storeys and attic with a low-pitched pyramidal roof. Left hand (west) set back with round end rising to a two storey and attic round tower with a low-pitched conical roof and elliptical attic window.

Rendered brick octagonal chimney stacks.

Service wing set back to north east, built round courtyard at rear (north). The round-arched carriageway through to courtyard area is a C20 alteration. Before there was a conservatory on the south front of the service wing (NMR). Over the north end of the wing a turret with steeply pitched tent-shaped roof, pilastered corners and louvred bullseyes.

Interior: Circular entrance hall (now dining room) with blind arcaded walls and vaulted entrance corridor. Simple open string staircase with straight balusters and wreathed handrail, and with lantern over the upper landing. Many of the original features survive including moulded marble chimney pieces one with Egyptian style pilasters, and original joinery including doors and shutters etc.

Sandridge was held by the Sandridges under the Bishop of Exeter in Henry II's reign. It was sold by the Gilberts, of Compton Castle qv, in 1770 to 'the first Lord Ashburton who built the present house.

Reference: H Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, page 583. Plans were exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1805.

Listing NGR: SX8599056475

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100657
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 583

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14721/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].