This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD MANOR INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING SOUTH AND COURTYARD WALLS ATTACHED TO SOUTH EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD MANOR INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING SOUTH AND COURTYARD WALLS ATTACHED TO SOUTH EAST

List entry Number: 1108511

Location

THE OLD MANOR INCLUDING BARN ADJOINING SOUTH AND COURTYARD WALLS ATTACHED TO SOUTH EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: South Hams

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Littlehempston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 100598

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 86 SW LITTLEHEMPSTON

5/50 The Old Manor including barn adjoining south and courtyard walls attached 11.2.52 to south east

- I

Small medieval manor house, probably built by Sir John Stretch and taken over by Canonsleigh Priory in C15. Since 1921 a private house. Circa late C14, restored C20. Stone rubble with scantle slate and thatched roofs with gabled ends. Quadrangular on plan with hall on south-east side with dairy and kitchen wings, and a wash-house and bakehouse or brewhouse range built around a small inner court. To the south-east in front of the hall a walled outer yard with a barn on the south-west side. The hall range has a two-centred chamfered granite arch doorway to the screens passage to the left of the hall. Restored hall window to right with mullions and transom and four-centred arch lights, and a narow slit window to side. The lower end is two-storeyed and has small cham- fered wooden mullion two and three-light windows with leaded panes. The hall window on the north west side facing the inner court is circa early C16, cross mullioned and transomed with cinquefoil lights. Similar C15 untransomed window to right above screen passage which has a flat-headed inner doorway. The former bakehouse or brewhouse range on the north-west side of the court has a wooden four-centred arch doorframe. Many of the windows have been replaced in C20 with chamfered wooden mullioned frames with leaded panes. Stone rubble chimney stacks with set-offs and slate caps at gable ends of hall range and over kitchen. Interior: two-bay open hall with arched brace roof. The hall walls retain much of their early plaster and on the dias wall a fresco of the Resur- rection circa 1450-1500. The fireplace beneath is a C20 insertion and there was originally a central hearth. The plank and muntin screen at the opposite end of the hall to screens passage has timber studding above with plastered infill. At the north-west corner of the hall a stone four-centred arch doorway to a stone newel stair lit by loops to the inner court and hall and leading to the former solar. On the south-west side of the screens passage are two arched doorways, one to the buttery, the other leading to the room above. Lean-to building adjoining east of hall probably originally a store. Barn adjoining south-west circa C15/C16 with thatched half-hipped roof, the roof trusses not original, central doorway with massive wooden doorframe with elliptical chamfered arch. The barn now has C20 garage doors on the south-east end. Including tall stone rubble walls forming the other two sides of the forecourt to the south-east of the hall, formerly a yard, now a garden. Reference: Country Life, volume 74, page 120.

Listing NGR: SX8079763280

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 74, (1933), 120

National Grid Reference: SX 80797 63280

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108511 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2017 at 12:52:43.

End of official listing