CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1108524
Date first listed:
09-Feb-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108524 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 06:47:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
South Hams (District Authority)
Parish:
Staverton
National Grid Reference:
SX 79384 63909

Details

SX 76 SE STAVERTON

4/83 Church of St Paul

9.2.61

GV I

Parish church. Circa early C14 largely reconstructed, apart from the circa West tower, in C15. Restored C18. Stone rubble, partly rendered slate roofs. Nave and chancel in one. Long north and south aisle. North aisle has stair turret to rood loft, with blocked elliptically arched doorway and C19 geometric traceried windows. South aisle has C19 plate-traceried windows, two Perpendicular windows and C15/16 priest door. Hollow-chamfered two-centred arch south doorway. Two- storeyed south porch with round undressed arch and parapet on corbels with moulded battlement. The north and south aisles have thin buttresses with set offs. Chancel has C19 five-light east window and early to mid C14 three-light south window with star tracery. Circa C13 west two unbuttressed and with slight batter in two stages with stringcourse half way up. Embattled parapet. Two-light bell openings, polygonal stair turret on northside and chamfered two-centred arch west doorway with C19 window above. Interior; four bay north and south arcades with octagonal piers moulded capitals with fleurons and moulded two-centred arches. Nave has unceiled wagon roof of 1881 replacing the original wagon roof. North and south aisles have ceiled wagon roofs with carved bosses. Good C15 rood and parclose screens largely rebuilt in 1891, one panel is painted. C19 seating, the choir stalls have carved poppeyheads. C18 octagonal pulpit with fielded panels and carved swags on the corners and putti above the panels. Reading desk made from carved Jacobean panelling. C19 octagonal font. Royal Arms of 1692. Monuments: Worth family 1629 in north aisle formerly Worth Chapel, two kneeling figures with eight kneeling children above. Wall monuments to Edward Bovey 1714; Thomas Rowe 1729. Edward Bovey 1811; Thomas Baradridge 1815 and a brass wall plaque to Margarett Gould 1662. References:- John Stabb, Devon Church Antiquities, Vol 1, pp 125 and 129. John Stabb, Some Old Devon Churches, Vol 1, pp 118 to 120.

B J Cresswell, Note on Devon Churches, Deanery of Totnes, pages 249 to 265.

Listing NGR: SX7938263911

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
100629
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches of the Deanery of Totnes, (1904), 249-265
Stabb, J, Devon Church Antiquities, (1909), 125 129
Stabb, J, Notes on some Old Devon Churches, (1908), 118-120

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/06072/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ernie W. King. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].