Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108554.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2021 at 15:51:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Hams (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 82113 62439



5/47 Gatcombe House (Nos 1, 2, 3 and 4) 9.2.69

- II*

Country house divided into four tenements. Circa C16 house altered in C17, C18 and early and mid C19. Stone rubble mostly plastered. Slate roofs. Built around four sides of a small courtyard. Two storeys. The C16 house is on the south side but it is not clearly recognisable, although it contains the former hall. The south elevation has a gable to the right with a double sash on the ground floor and a sash above with a moulded wooden label. Similar label over sash in wing projection to right (south-east). At the centre of the south range, a wide gabled projection externally appears early C19, contains the music room which is of C18, and is three bays with tall sash windows. To left an early C19 conservatory with pilasters and large sashes. The west front was added in circa 1830. Stuccoed with slate hipped roof with bracketed oversailing eaves. Two storeys. Symmetrical 2:3:2 bay front with sash windows complete with glazing bars. Centre advanced with pediment and two orders of pilasters, Doric with Ionic above. Niches either side of centre first floor window and porte cochere with four columns supporting a Doric entablature. The other north and east elevations are asymmetrical and have later accretions. On the east side of the south-east range an old nail-studded plank door. Interior: No 2's former music room has fine C18 plaster ceiling, the oval centrepiece depicting Mars riding an eagle within a sunburst, and musical instruments and implements of war in the corners and a moulded modillion cornice. No 3 has room with C17 moulded plaster ceiling in three compartments with moulded oval panels. First floor plaster vaulted ceiling in upper part of former hall, with C17 geometric moulded plasterwork. The arched principals of the hall roof have been plastered over. No 4 at east end of the hall has moulded granite fireplace in first floor room, three moulded plaster shields in lst floor passage and fine early C18 staircase with three turned balusters per tread and moulded handrail ramped up to fluted column newels. Nos 1 and 2, the circa 1830 addition to west, has moulded plasterwork and niche in hall with fantail dove in the arched head. Gatcombe House was a Domesday Manor. Richard Fortescue sold it to William Bogan (Mayor of Totnes) in 1542. His son married Prothesy Bodley, sister of Sir Thomas Bodley of the Bodleian Library. The west front was added circa 1830 by the Cornish family. In the garden wall adjoining south east a reset tablet inscribed "W.B.1687".

Gatcombe House was the birthplace of Zachary Bogan (1625-1659) who published treatises on Homer and Hesiod.

Listing NGR: SX8211362439


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/06301/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Jean M. King. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].