CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1108611
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108611 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 07:49:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
North Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Stalbridge
National Grid Reference:
ST 73346 18190

Details

ST 7318 STALBRIDGE CHURCH HILL (WEST SIDE)

6/10 (21/1) CHURCH OF ST MARY 2.10.60 GV II*

Parish Church. Nave, arcades and remains of North trancept late C14, North chapel and chancel arcade early C16, North aisle 1838, tower 1868, chancel, old vestry and other restoration 1878. Tower by Rev Henry Boucher, 1878 work by T H Wyatt. Walls partially of dressed, squared and coursed rubble, with ashlar dressings and partially of coursed rubble. Nave roof slated, chapel and vestry roofs tiled. Nave with North and South aisles (North aisle incorporating former North trancept); South trancept; South porch with tower over; Chancel with North chapel and former vestry to South. Vestry arcade and entrance to South arcade now blocked and converted to parish room. Generally in perpendicular style with north chapel and former vestry in its C16 variant. South front has castellated tower of 4 stages over porch with diagonal stepped butresses, crocketted pinnacles and slightly projecting ashlar stair tower. Porch has moulded ogee arch with label having floriated finial and stops; 2nd stage has panelled tracery window under 2-centred arch; 3rd stage has clock; 4th stage has 2 lancets to bell loft and attached pinnacles to butresses. Apart from former vestry and North chapel which have mainly square headed cusped and uncusped windows with square labels windows are generally of panel tracery under 2-centred arches-with cinqufoiled lights. Remains of earlier window in East facade of North chapel. Internally 4-bay C14 nave arcades; 3-bay C16 chancel arcade and North chapel arch with carved winged figures in capitals and former rood-vice doorway in respond; C14 piscina in South trancept. Wagon roofs to nave, chancel and North trancept; angled wagon roof to South trancept; flat ribbed roof to North chapel and aisle; sloping ribbed roof on corbels to South aisle. Possibly medieval timbers above existing ceiling. Various monuments including late C15 or early C16 table tomb with cadaver effigy. Early C13 front. Pulpit, screen and most fittings C19. RCHM 'Dorset Vol III', HMSO 1970, p247-249; Newman J and Pevsner, 'Buildings of England: Dorset', Penguin 1972, p395-396; Jones, Irene 'A Short History of Stalbridge and St Mary's Church' n.d.

Listing NGR: ST7334618190

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
102324
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1970), 247-249
Jones, I, A Short History of Stalbridge and St Marys Church
Pevsner, N, Newman, J, The Buildings of England: Dorset, (1972), 395-396

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11376/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr JE Leeson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].