Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1108699

Date first listed: 27-Oct-1950

Statutory Address: THE OLD HOUSE, THE CLOSE


Ordnance survey map of THE OLD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108699 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 03:11:25.


Statutory Address: THE OLD HOUSE, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Blandford Forum

National Grid Reference: ST 88680 06416


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


1. 865 THE CLOSE The Old House ST 8806 1/8 27.10.50.


2. This house is something of a curiosity and the fact that it was one of the few houses to escape the fire of 1731 gives it an additional interest. It was built about the middle of the C17 by Dr Sagittary - a native of the Palatinate, who held English medical degrees and practised in Blandford. This origin may explain its Germanic character. Dr Sagittary died in 1696. L-shaped 2-storey red brick house with projecting porch wing at front. The roof, the lower part of which has stone slates, is hipped and steeply pitched. Lead flat to porch wing. The wide eaves soffit is supported on heavy shaped brackets of oak. Hipped dormers. The 2 chinmeys are octagonal on square bases and each has 8 circular attached shafts with moulded brick bases and cappings. The Eastern part of the house is of rusticated brickwork and there is a moulded brick eaves cornice. Over the round-headed doorway, which has rusticated brick voussoirs, there are designs in cut brickwork and a moulded niche. All this work is said to have been done in situ. Windows are leaded casements with moulded oak frames and mullions, Those to East part of house having transoms also. There was formerly a contemporary staircase and other carved woodwork internally, but these were removed to Scot;and, where they were destroyed by fire.

Listing NGR: ST8868006416


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 102135

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing