HOUSE OF BETHANY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1108819
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1976
Statutory Address:
HOUSE OF BETHANY, ST CLEMENT'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOUSE OF BETHANY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108819 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 06:05:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOUSE OF BETHANY, ST CLEMENT'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bournemouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SZ 10856 92112

Details

1. 5186 ST CLEMENT'S ROAD (South Side) House of Bethany SZ l092 23/219

II*

2. 1874-5, enlarged 1880, one of R Norman Shaw's boldest works, built largely of concrete with W H Lascelles as contractor. the original Orphanage wing, running east-west, has 2 storeys and dormers: ground floor of concrete with stone-mullioned windows, 1st floor tilehung, 4-light windows with timber mullions and transom. On each flank 4 big projecting chimneybreasts with small inset windows, each with high cruciform stack (with brick modillion cornice ) rising out of gable, continuous strips of dormer between, each with 10 lights, 2 transoms and a pair of hipped roofs. 1 chimneystack on north cut down. Main roofs steeply pitched, with continuous ridge, east gable of 4 storeys, with half-timbered apex projecting on 3 moulded brackets and on off-centre canted oriel, itself on 3 brackets, narrow west gable of red brick, with segment-headed relieving arches to ground floor windows, segment-headed lst floor windows and stone-mullioned 2nd floor window, flanked on each side by hipped roof slope with hipped dormer. Gate tower at north-west corner, brick with stone dressings, 3 storeys, moulded porch arch dying into jambs, flanked by massive buttresses, 6-light and 4-light mullioned windows over, under hipped roof on overhanging eaves, with ornamental weathervane. Attached to it 2-storey wing, tilehung on upper floor, with entrance to service yard under ('farmyard' type, with open timber brackets to ceiling) and brick-walled visitors' room, chimneystack with heavy capping on ridge. Interiors modernised after war damage. Convent wing at right-angles, 1880, also 2 storeys and dormers, concrete below and tilehanging above, big chimneys on gable end, that at south with 2nds floor window recessed within round arch in chimneybreast. Tilehung gabled dormers with pairs of transomed windows to cells, glazing bars below, leading above. Ground floor windows with stone mullions and transoms. 2-storey concrete gable to staircase on west, 1st floor tile-hung oriel to former Sister Superior's room (now oratory) on east. Chapel and cloister added 1928-9, William G Newton and Partners. Altar in nave with sculptured panel of Annunciation and 2 statues, set against marble retable, originally High Altar of Chapel by Ernest Newton, 1892, or former Mother House at Clerkenwell, London, also from Clerkenwell 2 angels on west gallery and statue of Our Lady under pinnacled canopy by Sir Ninian Comper.

Listing NGR: SZ1086892104

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
101837
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06565/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Norman Wiles. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].