SUTTON SCARSDALE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1108914
Date first listed:
25-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Aug-1984
Statutory Address:
SUTTON SCARSDALE HALL, HALL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SUTTON SCARSDALE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108914 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 06:39:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
SUTTON SCARSDALE HALL, HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
North East Derbyshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Sutton cum Duckmanton
National Grid Reference:
SK 44204 68908

Details

SK 46 NW PARISH OF SUTTON CUM DUCKMANTON HALL LANE 2/35 (East Side) 25.10.51 Sutton Scarsdale Hall (formerly listed as Remains GV of Sutton Scarsdale Hall)

I

Country house. 1724 by Francis Smith of Warwick for Nicholas, Earl of Scarsdale. Coursed sandstone and brick faced with sandstone ashlar. A ruin but the outer walls remain virtually intact and much of the inner walls survive. Two storeys. Nine bay east and north elevations. West elevation with two four-bay projecting wings and deeply recessed centre portion. South elevation of eleven bays built up close to the church, the centre seven bays recessed. The main front is the sumptuous nine bay east elevation with banded rustication, entablature with modillion cornice and parapet. Centre three bays beneath a pediment with armorial achievement, on four Corinthian half columns. Two further bays on each side with giant Corinthian pilasters. One bay angle pavilion with coupled pilasters and doorcases with segmental pediments on brackets and windows above with moulded surrounds. Plainer north front, the centre three bays advanced. Giant Corinthian pilasters between each bay and windows with moulded surrounds. Central doorway with Gibbs Surround and pediment. West front is similar but with pilasters at the angles only and instead of a complete entablature, a modillion cornice with plain aprons below. In the front hall, on the north front, are fragmentary remains of C18 plasterwork by Artari and Varsalli. Some of the interior walls of coursed sandstone may be remains of the C17 house that stood on the site. Extensive brick vaulted cellars. The interior was dismantled in c1920 and some of the rooms are preserved in the Philadelphia Museum in America. J Carnforth The Uncertain Future of Sutton Scarsdale Country Life, v147, pp850-851. M Jourdain Sutton Scarsdale: The Seat of Mr William Arkwright, County Life, v45, pp166-173.The Hall is also a Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: SK4420468908

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
79383
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1904), 850-851
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1904), 166-173
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1904)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13473/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Wolfe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].