This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List entry Number: 1108925

Location

CHURCH OF ST HELEN, PARK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Bolsover

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Pinxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 79304

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 45 NE PARISH OF PINXTON PARK LANE 13/134 (South Side) Church of St Helen 8.7.66 II

Parish church. C13 tower and chapel, 1750 nave and chancel, with north aisle and vestry added 1939. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings, red plain tile roof to chancel with stone coped gables on plain kneelers, lead roofs elsewhere. 3 bay nave with north aisle, 2 bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel/organ bay with two stage tower attached to south. Plinth. West elevation rebuilt 1939, two shallow gabled bays, that to south with advanced shallow gabled stone porch with clasping buttresses and segmental headed doorcase. Raised cross above in gable. Northern bay has advanced canted bay with adjoining pair of semi-circular headed windows to front and moulded stone copings to flush parapets. North aisle has three similar pairs of semi-circular headed windows below flush parapets with moulded copings and to east the vestry with two plain doorcases and a 2-light chamfered mullion window. To east end, vestry has two shallow 3-light chamfered mullion windows below and one large similar window above. C18 chancel has gabled east wall partly rebuilt in C20, with raised quoins and central semi-circular headed window with raised imposts and sill. South chancel wall has four-centred arched door with raised quoined jambs to east and projecting C13 bay to west which has C19 3-light chamfered mullion window facing east and tower beyond to south. Tower has stepped diagonal buttresses to first stage on southern corners, a C14 2-light Decorated tracer led pointed window with hoodmould to east and small slit window to south. Upper stage rebuilt 1897 with single light shallow pointed louvred bell openings to each side, and flush parapets with moulded copings. West elevation of organ bay has C13 chamfered lancet, and south elevation of nave has three semi-circular headed chamfered C18 windows. Interior has segmental headed doorcase into the nave, three bay north arcade of semi-circular headed arches on columns with stepped square capitals, and full width segmental arch from nave to chancel. Pointed arch from chancel into south chapel/organ bay and small moulded pointed doorcase from this into the tower, also small segment headed doorcase from chancel into north vestry. Southern bay, known as Brookhill aisle has large organ and three wall monuments, one c1780 to Robert and Sarah Lillyman, signed 'AB Fecit' with segmental pediment topped with coat of arms, cherubs to base and scrolled sides, the others c1870 of enamelled brass in moulded stone surround and c1890 in C18 style. Chancel has three large slate and white marble wall monuments to Coke family, two to south side with painted coats of arms to top, of c1759, 1801 and 1811. Various other early C20 plaques to rest of church. Font to west end of north aisle is octagonal with moulded stem and painted panels to each side of the bowl. Other fittings all C20. Some re-used C18 timbers to nave and chancel roofs. Mid C19 and early C20 stained glass to some windows.

Listing NGR: SK4534655018

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 45346 55018

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 04:26:42.

End of official listing