Barlborough Hall


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Barlborough Hall School, Park Street, Barlborough, S43 4ES


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108972.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Oct-2020 at 09:33:03.


Statutory Address:
Barlborough Hall School, Park Street, Barlborough, S43 4ES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Bolsover (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 47770 78257


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/10/2019

SK 47 NE 1/45

PARISH OF BARLBOROUGH PARK STREET Barlborough Hall School Barlborough Hall

(Formerly listed as Barlborough Hall WARD LANE)


GV I Country house, now a school. Built for Sir Francis Rodes, a judge in the Court of Common Pleas and patronized by the Earl of Shrewsbury. Dated 1583 on the porch and 1584 on the Great Chamber overmantel. Probably by Robert Smythson. Sandstone ashlar and render. Roofs hidden behind battlemented parapets.

Chamfered plinth and moulded bands linking the heads of all the windows and sometimes stepped up over them. Compact square plan with canted and polygonal bays. Basement and two storeys, the bays rising to an extra storey.

The principal elevation faces south and is of five symmetrical bays. Square projecting central porch bay has a flight of balustraded stone steps leading up to the doorway which has coupled Tuscan Doric columns and pieces of entablature. Four-centred arched doorway with moulded arch and carved spandrels. Two carved coats of arms above, one above the other. Six-light window above with two major mullions and two transoms. Carved coat of arms above again. The recessed bays on either side have to the basement a cross window and a three-light mullioned and transomed window. Four-light windows above with a major mullion and two transoms. Two similar windows above. Polygonal bays have a two-light window to the basement and three tiers of windows above of 1-2-2-2-1 lights with two transoms, except the top storey which has one transom.

North elevation of five bays has three tiers of windows as to the south. Square projecting bay in the centre has four-light windows, the centre two lights breaking forward to a point. Single lights to the returns. Four-light windows on either side with two transoms and a major mullion.

Irregular four-bay east elevation has a central canted bay and projecting canted porch dated 1825. Four-centred arched doorway with carved spandrels. Two tiers of windows above of 1-2-2-1 lights. To the left area five-light and a three-light mullioned and transomed window. Six-light window above with a major mullion and two transoms. Similar window above again. To the right are a five-light and a three-light mullioned and transomed window. Above is a six-light and a four-light window with two transoms. Above again is a similar six-light window. The west elevation has a central canted bay. Cross windows and early C19 glazing bar sashes. Six-light mullioned and transomed windows to the top floor. Interior: the chapel (formerly the Great Chamber) has a decorative plaster ceiling and a stone chimneypiece with paired fluted columns and richly carved overmantel. C18 fluted pilasters. Early C19 stained glass. Adjoining Music Room has a richly carved wooden chimney piece, fire back dated 1616. Plaster overmantel with coat of arms, dated 1697.C18 bolection moulded door surrounds. Staircase hall in the centre of the house, originally open, with three-light mullioned and mullioned and transomed windows. Open well staircase with two heavy turned balusters per tread. C19 gothic arches to landing. The entrance hall has early C19 gothic fireplace, doors and shutters. One C16 four-centred arched doorway. C19 porch has a gothic rib-vault. The second floor has a corridor along the west side with five moulded four-centred arched stone doorways. C19 gothic doors. The south west room has late C16 panelling. East corridor has four similar doorways. Timber spiral staircase from the first to second floor. West corridor on the first floor has four similar doorways, one with a latin inscription and carved spandrels. The north west room has C16 panelling. The south west room has a C16 plaster ceiling and C18 panelling. Mid C18 eared chimneypiece. The middle room on the west side has a C16 plaster frieze.

Source:Robert Smythson & the Elizabethan Country House by Mark Girouard, Yale University Press 1983.

Listing NGR: SK4777078258


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Girouard, M, Robert Smythson and the Elizabethan Country House, (1983)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05421/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Vin Rigby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].