CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1108973

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1108973 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 04:24:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WERBURGH, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Bolsover (District Authority)

Parish: Blackwell

National Grid Reference: SK 44398 58404

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 45 NW PARISH OF BLACKWELL CHURCH HILL 12/49 (South Side) 8.7.66 Church of St Werburgh GV II



Parish church. 1824-7 by Daniel Hodkin, rebuilt except for tower 1878-9 by J B Mitchell-Withers, re-using some earlier fragments. Tooled ashlar with plain ashlar dressings and slate roofs with stone coped gables plus ridge cross tochancel gable. West tower, 3 bay nave with south porch and single bay chancel with north vestry. Three stage tower has deep plinth, wide band between first and second stage with narrower band over, and plain sill band to bell stage. First stage has double chamfered pointed west door with plaque over inscribed 'Rebuilt AD 1824 J Gill and Adlington Church Wardens', and pointed Y-tracery window above. Clockfaces to all except east side to second stage and pointed louvred, Y-tracery bell openings over. Stepped eaves band and embattled parapets with crocketed corner pinnacles. Nave and chancel with continuous chamfered sill band. North nave elevation has three pointed 3-light windows with assorted geometric and intersecting tracery below wide bracketed eaves. To east, a gabled vestry with ogee headed single light window to west, pointed 2-light cusped ogee traceried window to north and pointed chamfered doorcase to east. Chancel has 3-light geometric traceried pointed window with returned hoodmould to east and cusped ogee headed single light window to south. Buttresses between nave and chancel, nave south elevation similar to north elevation plus gabled porch to west with pointed doorcase below ridge cross. Below central window there are 2 attached early C18 tombstones with incised decoration, to Elizabeth Sampton and her son. Interior has tall double chamfered chancel arch with soffit on moulded column corbels, small pointed doorcase into tower and pointed arch into north vestry from chancel. Plain late C19 fittings including octagonal stone font. One re-set C12 column to north wall and a C9 cross shaft in the porch. Several re-setmonuments in the tower, one c1780 with shouldered architrave on moulded consoles to Lucy Boot, similar to Ann Wilkinson, who died 1762 and slate and white marble wall memorial to Stephen Wilkinson, died 1793 signed 'An Ince Maton'. Similar mid C19 memorial and one early C19 charity plaque.

Listing NGR: SK4439858404

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 79219

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing