Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109134.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:50:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Amber Valley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 36385 44653


PARISH OF HOLBROOK CHURCH STREET SK 34 SE 4/13 (West Side) Church of St Michael GV II

Parish church. 1761, mostly rebuilt and enlarged 1841 by Williams Evans, also altered in early C20. Ashlar sandstone with sandstone dressings and slate roof, hipped to south aisle, with wide overhanging eaves and western bellcote. Plinth, wide clasping corner pilasters and plain eaves band. Italianate style. Nave, chancel, south nave aisle, and north vestry and porch. West elevation has three adjoining semi- circular headed windows with metal casements and plain sill band below. To centre of gable above is a raised section of wall supported on corbel table, with central bull's eye window in moulded surround, which continues up into the bellcote. This has louvred semi-circular headed bell openings to east and west sides with moulded arches, raised keystones and imposts, also corner pilasters and a widely overhanging roof with bracketed eaves. North elevation has a porch to west end with central semi-circular headed window in raised surround to north side and semi-circular headed doorcase to east with raised arch, vermiculated keystone and panelled door, also a broad continuous impost band and pedimented roof over the door. To east the nave has three tall semi-circular headed windows with Y-tracery, beyond these is the north vestry with semi-circular headed western door and northern window similar to that to porch. To east again is a blocked semi-circular headed window with small 2-light window to base. East elevation has an inserted Caernarvon arched doorcase to north and to centre a large Diocletian window, now with incongruous 1930s tracery. Above in the gable is a clockface. South elevation has one original semi-circular headed window with metal casement to east and to west the south aisle with wide semi-circular headed 3-light mullion windows, four to south, and one to east with cusped tracery to top of the lights. Each window has full height stepped buttresses each side. West end of aisle has a circular window in moulded surround, and a low addition attached to base. Interior has four bay south arcade with plain square piers and semi-circular arches. Stepped semi-circular chancel arch with pilaster strips to either side and beyond narrow pointed arches through to separate bays either side of the chancel. Above the southern arch is a shallow 2-light opening. Chancel has barrel vaulted ceiling and blind semi-circular headed arches to either side. Nave roof has a grid of beams and aisle roof is barrel vaulted with plain transverse ribs. West end of nave has segmental blind arch across full width of nave. Elaborate 1938 chancel fittings in oak with carved pierced friezes, including similar style pulpit. Nave pews C19 and plain. Stone font to west end of nave C18 with bulbous stem. Various wall memorials, the best to Thomas Bradshaw Armigen, c1760, of coloured marble. Of the remaining four there are two C19 slate and white marble memorials and two similar early C20 ones. East window has early C20 stained glass and west window of south aisle has painted rose window, probably early C19.

Listing NGR: SK3638544653


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02626/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Holt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].