Church of St Matthew

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1109151
Date first listed:
13-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
Church of St Matthew, Main Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Matthew
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109151.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:22:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Matthew, Main Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Amber Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Pentrich
National Grid Reference:
SK 38948 52575

Details

SK 35 SE 4/85

PARISH OF PENTRICH MAIN STREET Church of St Matthew

13-02-67

I Anglican Church. C12 with extensive remodelling and additions in late C14 and early C15, and restored in 1859. Coursed rubble sandstone with ashlar gritstone dressings and ashlar gritstone to later additions. Leaded roof coverings with coped gables. West tower; nave with clerestory, north and south aisles, south aisle porch, chancel and vestry.

Square C12 tower, raised and re-quoined in C14, rising off a shallow plinth, with angle buttresses with set-offs added. Three stage tower, with ashlar crenellations to parapet. Two-light Perpendicular bell stage windows with ogee heads to lights below a flat lintel, slit windows to first and second stages. Perpendicular porch with raking crenellations to gable, above a moulded string. Stepped chamfered archway to door with hoodmould and stops, and with a trefoil headed niche above, with C20 statuary. Two-light chamfer mullioned window to east wall.

South aisle, with shallow stepped buttresses between windows a two- and a three-light ogee leaded window beneath a flat lintel. Diagonal buttress to south east corner, and two-light window matching side wall openings to east end. Crenellated parapet above moulded string to clerestory, with five two-light windows, with recessed chamfer mullions with cinquefoil heads to lights, beneath a continuous string course delineating parapet which drops down as a hoodmould pendant finials to define the opening.

Chancel south wall with two three-light windows beneath segmental heads flanking elaborate ogee-headed hood to four-centred arched doorway with moulded surround. Stepped diagonal buttress to corner. East window of five-lights, beneath depressed pointed arch. C19 vestry to chancel north wall with chamfered pointed arched doorway beneath hoodmould at east end. North aisle windows of two- and three-lights in earlier rubble masonry with ogee headed lights within flat headed surrounds, beneath chamfered eaves band. Doorway with quoined surround beneath hoodmould with stops. Smaller two-light window to west end.

INTERIOR: single-chamfer, pointed tower arch. Five bay nave arcades, with circular piers and simply moulded circular capitals of two designs, with water holding mould to bases, standing on square pads. Simple hoodmould to semicircular chamfered arcade arches. South aisle terminates at a respond in the chancel wall, the north arcade at an impost. Pointed chancel arch rises from semicircular imposts of earlier chancel arch, with double chamfer. Romanesque font with arcade moulding to rim, on pedestal dated 1662. Window to chancel north wall with three-light painted glass window by C.W Whall, c.1915. East end of south aisle has painted glass by Morris and Company. Wall monuments to chancel north wall to Edward Horn d.1764, and Madam Mower d.1776.

Listing NGR: SK3894852575

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
78733
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14399/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].