Church of St John the Baptist


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St John the Baptist, Main Street


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109264.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:41:11.


Statutory Address:
Church of St John the Baptist, Main Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SK 11555 70262


SK 17 SW 2/63 PARISH OF CHELMORTON MAIN STREET (East side) Church of St John the Baptist


GV II* Church. C13, C14, restored 1869 by H Currey. Coursed, squared gritstone to chancel and tower. Coursed limestone with gritstone dressings to rest. Plain tile and slate chancel roof. Slate north aisle roof. Stone slabs to south porch, other roofs leaded.

Embattled western tower with projecting north west stair turret. Nave with lower north aisle and south porch. South transept and embattled two bay chancel. Low, two stage tower with setback stepped buttresses to three sides. Stringcourse over. Twin, cusped headed bell openings under square hood,on all sides. Louvred with stone slates. Oversailing, embattled parapet over. Recessed, octagonal stone spire with twin, louvred lucarnes to four sides.

North nave aisle has two C19 cusped lancets. Blank clerestory wall and embattled parapet over. North chancel wall has stepped plinth, and gabletted buttresses to west side of two Perp two-light cusped headed window with pierced spandrels. Flat hood with return stops over. Moulded string-course and embattled parapets over. South chancel similar, with additional pointed doorcase. Windows C19 copies. C19 panel tracery east window with dripmould over. Diagonal, gabletted, buttresses either side.

South transept has Y-tracery window to east,triple stepped lancets to south, both c1300. Beyond to west C19 south porch. To either side, C19 cusped lancets. Above,C19 cusped headed windows.

Interior: three bay south arcade of c1200 with octagonal columns moulded capitals and double, chamfered,semi-circular arches. Similar four bay north arcade of c1300. Arches now pointed. Pointed arch added to south arcade into south transept c1300. Blocked, pointed, chamfered tower arch. Perp chancel arch, continuously moulded soffit. Pilasters and capitals to sides. Remains of Perp stone rood screen. Blank cusped ogee arcade with pierced quatrefoils over. Early C20 wooden screen in similar style above. In chancel, to west, cusped ogee piscina. To east double cusped ogee sedilla under square hood. Quatrefoil patterns on seats, both mid C17.

Various wall memorials included fine white marble one of 1683 for Georgius Dale. Similar memorial to Swan family of 1740. Stained glass east window of 1880 by Jones and Wallis. Cusped, trefoil, piscina to north nave aisle east wall. Octagonal Perp font with moulded base, and cusped decorated panels over. Painted charity plaques of 1740 and 1821.

Listing NGR: SK1155570262


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01705/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr CA Packham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].