This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1109268

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, EARL STERNDALE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hartington Middle Quarter

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 80504

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 06 NE PARISH OF HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER EARL STERNDALE 4/74 (East Side) 12.7.1967 Church of St Michael GV II

Church. 1828-9 by G E Hamilton, chancel by R R Duke, 1877, Partly rebuilt 1950-2 after war damage. Coursed squared limestone with gritstone dressings and rock-faced quoins. Slate roofs. Ridgeback copings to gable walls. Three stage embattled western tower, aisle-less nave, small north vestry and narrow single bay chancel. Wide, pointed south door to tower with deeply recessed continuous moulding . Above four centred arched window with cavetto architrave and moulded dripmould over. Modern clock faced just above. Third stage has similar, but wider, opening to window below, with louvres. Similar bell openings to all but east side of tower. Large west window with cusped panel tracery and four centred arched top. Embattled parapets to tower. South nave wall has three pointed windowswith chamfered Y-tracery. Small pointed single light window to chancel. Twin lancet east window. Above chancel,on nave gable,plaque inscribed: 'Built AD 1823. Restored AD 1877'. North wall has two four centred arched windows with dripmoulds. Interior - completely rebuilt in 1950s. Crude stone font with vertical bands in relief. Probably C12.

Listing NGR: SK0907167070

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 09071 67070

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109268 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 10:33:23.

End of official listing