CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1109332
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1984
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109332.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 20:19:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Parwich
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 18834 54351

Details

SK 18 54 PARISH OF PARWICH THE GREEN 10/72 (East Side)

Church of St Peter

GV II*

Church. 1873-4 by Stevens & Robinson, incorporating C12 parts. Coursed squared rock-faced limestone with rock-faced and ashlar sandstone dressings, used to give a polychromatic effect. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with crosses. West steeple, nave with aisles and north porch, chancel with south aisle and north vestry. Norman style. Chamfered plinth. West tower of four unequal stages, divided by sandstone bands. Sandstone clasping buttresses linked at the top by arched corbel tables. Ground stage of the west elevation with re-used C12 north doorway. Nook shafts with beakhead type decoration. Single order of Chevron. Incised tympanum with various animals, a lamb carrying a cross, a stag, each standing on a serpent and with a bird and a pig above, and a lion eating its tail. C19 hoodmould. Plank door with large metal C-hinges. Above the doorway, a wheel window. North and South elevations have single lancet to the ground stage. Narrow rectangular window above to each face. Two-light bell openings to each face, with plate tracery. Nook shafts at the angles of the bell stage. Broach spire with two tiers of lucarnes, big ones low down and tiny ones high up. The south aisle runs the full length of the building with the lower chancel roof carried over the aisle as a catslide. Six round-arched windows with a step and a chamfer. Robust nave clerestory with four triplets divided by rock-faced lesenes. Each bay with a triplet of chamfered round-arches with two colonettes and a cinquefoil window in smooth stone surround, giving the effect of plate tracery. Row of dentil corbels above. East and west windows of the south aisle are of two round-arched lights with a central colonette. The chancel projects slightly east of the south aisle and has gableted set-back buttresses. The east window a triplet of steeply pointed arches, the centre one taller. The vestry on the north side is gabled and is taller than the aisle, with a chimney on each gable. To the east a cinquefoil window in a circle and to the north, a pair of round-arched windows and a round-arched door. The north side of the nave is similar to the south side, except for a north porch in a similar style, added in 1911, The interior has a four-bay nave arcade with circular piers and semi- circular responds, square abaci, croquet type capitals. Double chamfered arches. Tile triplets of the clerestory are treated as arcades on. two detached shafts. Tower arch, mostly re-used C12 parts. Inner order of chevron, a roll, a hollow and a roll and an outer order of dogtooth. Chamfered imposts. Pointed chancel arch with two roll mouldings, nook shafts with moulded capitals but with the main arch carried through without capitals. Double chamfered arches to the north and south of the chancel. East window with nook shafts. Dec style chancel screen. Nave pews c1874, openwork, with cusped arches to the ends. Brass eagle lectern. Tiled floor in the nave. Within the tower, three coffin lids set into the south wall. C18 charity board above. Font with the date 1662 scratched on polygonal bowl on a circular base. Stained glass - south aisle west 1901; east window 1865 by Holland Son & Holt of Warwick

Listing NGR: SK1883454351

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
80344
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/11448/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Millett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].