Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109352.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:00:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 22341 45970


SK 24 NW PARISH OF BRADLEY YEWTREE LANE 8/19 (West Side) 13.9.1967 Church of All Saints


Church. Late C14 and earlier. Restored C19. Coursed squared sandstone and ashlar. Low pitched lead roof with stone coped gables. Nave and lower chancel in one. South elevation of four bays, divided by buttresses with two set-offs, Western bay with a single chamfered EE doorway with hoodmould. C19 four panelled door. In each of the three other bays, a 2-light C14 window of two cusped lancets with a quatrefoil above, the bottom of which is drawn down into an ogee. Hoodmoulds with headstops. All much restored in C19. In the third bay from the west, also a low, blocked, priests doorway with depressed round arch and hoodmould. The buttress to the right was heightened in C19 (blocking a 2-light clerestory window) and is capped by a polygonal chimney. To the nave, a C17 clerestory with two plain 2-light chamfered mullion windows. East window of c1300 with intersecting tracery of 3-lights. Hoodmould with headstops. The tracery much renewed in C19. North elevation, east to west. Angle buttress, a 2-light window as on the south side, buttress, another similar windows to the nave, a blocked square window with chamfered surround, above the stump of a buttress, another similar 2-light window and a half blocked EE doorway matching that on the south side, with a clerestory window above, as on the south side. The west window is a replacement of 1901, matching the east window, but of greater height. Bell fixed to the west wall. Restorations in 1836, 1843, chancel re-roofed in 1856, nave roof repaired in 1894 and restoration in 1901 by Hunter & Woodhouse of Belper. Interior - C19 pews with ogee traceried ends, brought from St Alkmunds, Derby in 1967. Matching pulpit. Either side of the east window, two large head corbels, early C14. Wall monuments - to the right of the east window, to Emma Harriet Scambella 1821, Signed Watson Feet, an obelisk back plate with marble pedestal and draped urn. To the left of the east window, to William Tyson, died 1843, and Lucia his wife, died 1848. Slate back plate with marble sarcophagus and coat of arms above. Signed M W Johnson, New Road, London. South wall - memorial to Thomas Archer, Commander in the Royal Navy, died 1853. By M W Johnson. A scroll over an anchor. Another to Mary, widow of Thomas Archer, died 1865. Marble sarcophagus on a slate back plate. By Patterson of Manchester. Brass wall plate to William Tomkinson, died 1901, and his wife, Mary, died 1900. By Jones & Willis Ltd. Also on the south wall an C18 painted hatchment. One stained glass window, chancel south, date of death 1901. Font, a circular bowl with bold trefoil motif and fleur de lys between, on a base of clustered filleted shafts.

Listing NGR: SK2234145970


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Nov 2000
Reference: IOE01/03018/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Thomas Bates. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].