This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FARM OUTBUILDING EAST SOUTH EAST OF HIGH BIRKS FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FARM OUTBUILDING EAST SOUTH EAST OF HIGH BIRKS FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1109680

Location

FARM OUTBUILDING EAST SOUTH EAST OF HIGH BIRKS FARMHOUSE, LA8 8BX

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Crosthwaite and Lyth

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Feb-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 351993

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 49 SW, 1258-/1/10002

CROSTHWAITE AND LYTH, Farm outbuilding east-south-east of High Birks Farmhouse

GV

II

Farm outbuilding. Dated 1853, with minor C20 alterations. Rubble water-shot Lakeland-stone walling, with limestone quoining and dressings, and a Westmorland slate roof laid to diminishing courses. Bank barn type of linear form with substantial rear outshots flanking upper side entry. 2-storey with overlofts to outshots, five bays with central access on high side (north) to threshing and winnowing floor and fodder storage. South elevation with shallow ground floor canopy extending the full length of the building, supported on long stone canopy corbels (mostly now failing). Four single doorways and a cart entry together with a single small square window at the west end. Only the east end doorway and the window are undisturbed; the other openings having been modified to form additional windows. Central first floor winnowing doorway beneath deep lintel with inscribed date stone above which reads J.C. 1853'. Tier of slit breathers below projecting eaves supported on moulded stone corbels. East and west side elevations altered, but with stable doorways and windows beneath single massive lintels and with loft doors above. The rear outshots are entered through side doors beneath a canopy which shelters the double doorway to the winnowing floor. One of the largest of the surviving C19 bank barns in the Lake District.

Listing NGR: SD4278090586

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 42780 90586

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109680 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 03:18:40.

End of official listing