This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1109734

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brailsford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Sep-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 81344

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 24 SW PARISH OF BRAILSFORD CHURCH LANE 5/1 13.9.67 Church of All Saints GV I

Parish church. C12, C14, C15, 1629. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Welsh slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave with south aisle, long chancel with north vestry. Tower of two unequal stages, divided by a stringcourse. Diagonal 'buttresses with five set-offs. Battlemented parapet. Projecting staircase wall to north. West door with perp mouldings, flanked by C18 war memorials. 3-light window above with plain arched lights and perp tracery. Small square opening above, repeated on north and south sides. 2-light bell openings to each face with arched lights beneath Y-tracery. South side of tower embraced by south aisle which has a 2-light west window under a flat head, with cusped lights and mouchettes. Gabled south porch with broad chamfered round arch with a stone above inscribed WM 1629. Sundial above. To the right are two 2-light windows with flat-heads and C19 Dec style tracery, but genuine C14 mullions. Buttress with two set-offs and similar diagonal buttresses at the angles. Stringcourse and plain parapet. 3-light east window with Dec tracery with cusped mouchettes. Three rectangular clerestory windows and a string and plain parapet above with a sundial. The south side of the chancel has three 2-light windows with C19 tracery of two lancet lights with a quatrefoil above. Priests doorway between the first two windows from the west. Two stringcourses above and a plain parapet. The east wall has angle buttresses and a 3-light window with early C14 tracery. The north side of the chancel has a C19 lean-to vestry with simple pointed arched doorway to the east and a paired lancet window to the north. To the right, a 2-light window similar to those on the south side, but possibly with genuine early C14 tracery. The north side of the nave has two buttresses and two 2-light windows with flat heads and cusped lights. Doorway to the right with wave moulding. The interior has a four bay south arcade, the fourth bay now against the side of the tower, showing that the tower was built within the Norman nave. The west pier is circular with a scalloped capital, the next circular with octagonal capital, the third has an octagonal pier and capital, and at the east end there is a semi-circular respond with polygonal capital. The round arches have a step and a chamfer. Double chamfered tower arch. Early C14 chancel arch. supported to the north on a free standing circular C12 pier with many scalloped capital. Early C14 triple sedilia and piscina with deep fluted drain, in the south wall of the chancel. A number of wall monuments - Edward Cox died 1846 (nave north), Annie Mosse died 1868 (nave north), Mary Horsfall died 1862 (nave north), Thomas Cox died 1842 (chancel north) gothic, John Boden died 1840 (chancel south), Anna Palmer died 1840 (chancel south), all by Hall of Derby. William Cox died 1900 (nave north) by Lomas of Derby. Roger and Frances Cox died 1843 and 1853 (nave north) by J B Robinson of Derby: Dorothy Draper died 1683 (chancel east) Jacobean style. To the left of the east window is a grander, late C17 monument. The reredos has re-set linenfold panels and flamboyant tracery panels. C17 communion table and C17 or earlier oak chest. Tomb recess in the chancel north- wall with an incorrectly assembled monument set in. C19 tiled chancel floor. Carved rood beam and cross of 1934. Deeply carved bench ends in the nave, one dated 1884. In the south aisle are an C18 charity board, four boards with religious texts and a royal coat of arms. Octagonal font, probably C16.

Listing NGR: SK2449041278

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 24492 41274

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109734 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2017 at 08:13:33.

End of official listing