Church of All Saints


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Alport Lane


Ordnance survey map of Church of All Saints
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109853.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:31:25.


Statutory Address:
Church of All Saints, Alport Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
SK 21205 64372


20/21 63 20/21 64 6/103

PARISH OF YOULGREAVE ALPORT LANE (south side) Church of All Saints


GV I Parish church. Late C12, early C14, C15 and C16, restored 1869-70 by Norman Shaw. Ashlar gritstone, coursed squared gritstone and gritstone and limestone rubble with gritstone dressings and quoins. Stepped plinth with moulded copings, continuous sill band, to all except north nave aisle, and coved eaves band. Roof hidden by embattled parapets with ridgeback copings. Tall Perpendicular ashlar, three stage west tower, clerestoried nave with north and south aisles to three eastern bays, aisless to two western bays, lower chancel and south porch.

West tower has full-height stepped angle buttresses to all sides and deeply moulded Perpendicular west doorcase with hoodmould and C19 doors: Large Perpendicular three-light panel-traceried window above with hoodmould and rosettes to either side of the stops, tracery restored in C19. Moulded string course over with two-light chamfered mullion windows with hoodmoulds above to all sides. To south side of tower in the eastern corner, a polygonal staircase turret up to the second stage, broached to base and topped with embattled parapets. Second stage has clockface to west side, dated 1870, with pairs of pointed and moulded, louvred bell openings with cusped tracery and continuous sill band and hoodmoulds, above. Coved cornice with central and corner gargoyles over, topped by embattled parapets with corner and central crocketed pinnacles.

North elevation has blank wall of coursed squared gritstone below two, early C16, three-light recessed and chamfered mullioned clerestory windows with segmental headed lights and incised spandrels, to aisless section of nave. North nave aisle, of limestone and gritstone rubble, has C19 three-light flat headed west window with cusped ogee headed lights and pierced spandrels. Similar two-light windows to east of blocked, chamfered, pointed doorcase with hoodmould to north facade. East aisle window similar but taller and original. Corner buttresses to either end of aisle, and above four clerestory windows similar to those to west.

Chancel to east has C19 pointed, three-light window with cusped stepped lights, and beyond buttress to east, a deeply recessed, flat-headed panel tracery window. Perpendicular, five-light east window with panel tracery, restored in C19, with hoodmould over and lower sections of window blocked in stone, has diagonal buttresses to either side. South chancel elevation has C19 three-light window with stepped cusped lights, also blocked to base, to either side of adjoining central buttress and pointed, chamfered doorcase. East window to south nave aisle similar to clerestory windows, whilst south elevation has two early C14 windows with buttress between, that to east three-light with intersecting tracery and hoodmould, that to west Y-traceried with carved head label stops to sides. Projecting south porch to west has diagonal buttresses either side of moulded, pointed doorcase with additional soffit mould, beyond inner door chamfered with hoodmould and carved labels. Above outer door, a cusped niche with corbel for statue and to either side of porch, small single light windows. Beyond to west the nave aisle has similar west window to that on north aisle and nave wall has similar window again, but probably C15, with segmental tomb niche below. Six clerestory windows above similar to those to north.

INTERIOR: has three-bay south and north arcades, that to south late C12 with semi-circular, double chamfered arches on columns with many-scalloped capitals, that to north later with slightly pointed double-chamfered arches on thinner columns with volute capitals, also decorated with heads. Perpendicular tower arch with moulded jambs and capitals and C19 Decorated style wooden screen at base. C19 wide, pointed, double chamfered chancel arch. Fine C15, heavily moulded, ribbed roof with carved central bosses to nave, C19 copies to chancel and nave aisles. Mosaic reredos, panel traceried wooden choir stalls with elaborate poppy heads, brass altar rail, and pulpit designed by Norman Shaw, nave pews very simple but probably also by Shaw. Several stained glass windows, including fine 1876 east window by Burne-Jones, an 1894 window to south and C20 window to north of chancel.

Numerous memorials, including good wall memorial to Rogerus Rooe in north nave aisle of 1613 in painted limestone with classical aedicule, topped by coat of arms and below, in semicircular arch, two kneeling figures of man and a woman with altar between inscribed 'Hic iacet Rogerus Rooe de Alport AR. Qui Obiit 30 Aprlis AN Dom 1613', beneath eight small girls praying. To east wall of north aisle is an alabaster plaque of 1492 to Robert and Julia Gilbert with central figure of the Virgin and to sides the kneeling figures of Julia and numerous daughters and Robert with numerous sons, around the edge a Latin inscription. Just to north of this, a small brass memorial to Fridswide Gilbert, probably early C17,with figure of lady dressed in Elizabethan costume. Above, to north, a classical style memorial with swags and cherubs to Carolius Greaves of 1729. To north side of the chancel, is a C14 effigy of a knight with his feet on a lion and to the centre of the chancel, a fine marble tomb in alabaster to Thomas Cockayne, who died 1488 with a diminutive effigy of a knight in armour to the top with his feet on a lion and his head on a chicken, and figures of angels to the sides, holding painted coats of arms. Other memorials include two C19 marble ones to aisless part of nave and one in the tower with coat of arms dated 1685. Also in tower two C18 charity plaques and a lead plaque inscribed 'ED MOORE VIC IONT / CLARK RICH LONG- / DEN IAM ASHBOURNE / CH WARDENS 1701'.

Stone font in nave C12 with round bowl on central stem with four small columns to sides, bowl carved with decorative motifs and to south side it has an extra small bowl supported by salamander corbel. This font was removed from Elton Church in C19. Opposite the font to west of north arcade is a small figure in a semicircular niche, probably a carving of a pilgrimage. Outside in porch, sit two large slate commandment plaques, probably C19.

Listing NGR: SK2121064373


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2007
Reference: IOE01/15854/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr George Wolfe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].