This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE FORMER TOTE BUILDING TO ASCOT RACECOURSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FORMER TOTE BUILDING TO ASCOT RACECOURSE

List entry Number: 1109920

Location

THE FORMER TOTE BUILDING TO ASCOT RACECOURSE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Windsor and Maidenhead

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Sunninghill and Ascot

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Jun-1998

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Jan-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469414

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUNNINGHILL SU96NW HIGH STREET, Ascot 599-1/15/66 (North side) 26-JUN-1998 The former Tote Building to Ascot Racecourse GV II

Stables, converted to totalisator building. Circa late C19; remodelled and extended as totalisator 1929-30 by Hunt and Steward; altered 1939,1956 and 1979. Red brick with stone dressings. Slate roofs. PLAN: Long range backing onto street with short wing at east end. In 1929-30 remodelled as tote building retaining the rear wall and central section rebuilt as tote tower facing the racecourse; in 1939 a stepped parapet containing a clock was added to the tower. EXTERIOR: Two and three storeys. Long north front, the flanking low two-storey ranges and wing to left with oversailing first floors with iron balconies; the central tote tower with large moulded stone cornice, stepped parapet with clock face, and with glazed front with iron balconies. Rear [5] facing road, has long and low two-storey flanking ranges with shallow three-light windows with cambered arches and string course; central tote tower is large and taller two-storey two-bay block with parapet and moulded stone cornice breaking forwards over brick pilasters, large elliptically arched first floor windows with moulded brick imposts and keyblocks and with recessed panels above and wide rendered band below, over three-light ground floor windows with flat arches. The tote tower is built of orange brick with red brick details. INTERIOR: Remodelled as luncheon rooms; stairs at back of tote tower have cast-iron balustrades. NOTE: The late C19 stables at Ascot Racecourse were remodelled as a totalisator building in 1929-39, after the Racehorse Betting Act 1928.

Listing NGR: SU9209968840

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 92099 68840

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109920 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2017 at 10:34:12.

End of official listing