This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MALT HOUSE HARP YARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MALT HOUSE HARP YARD

List entry Number: 1109939

Location

MALT HOUSE HARP YARD, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Shropshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Bishop's Castle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jun-1998

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 469433

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO3288 BISHOPS CASTLE CHURCH STREET

498/12/10004 Malt House, Harp Yard

GV II

Brew house, now store house. Dated 1822 on stone to front with later additions and alterations. Stone rubble with pinkish-brown brick extension at front to right, render to left return of main range; slate roof and brick stack to rear at right; oak and larch shutters. Main range has 2 storeys with attic, range to left has one-and-a-half storeys. Left range has part-glazed door. Main range has central entrance a plank door, to left a replacement multi-pane window with original frame and shutters; to right a replacement casement window in elliptically-arched surround. First floor has opening with multi-pane, renewed window and shutters; plank pitching door; further opening with shutters. Attic has two openings with shutters. Left range has opening with plank shutter; main range has casement window to left gable; exposed purlins. Rear has two window openings, one to each range. INTERIOR. Main range: ground floor has four chamfered, rough-hewn transverse beams and exposed rafters, York stone flags to floor; first floor has three exposed rough-hewn transverse beams, bressummer beam across corner for chimney, first-floor window has original sill; second floor has winding gear and trap door, corner fireplace with brick elliptical arch, further winding gear and trap door; roof has one level of rough-hewn purlins and exposed rafters, collar beam. Left range has exposed rafters and one level of purlins to roof. Historical note: it is thought that ale was brewed here from 1822 to c1960. The local brewing process used boilers and kilns; "brewing equipment" from the building was sold c1860. This brew house served the Harp Inn, one of the oldest established inns in Bishop's Castle, now known as Harp House (q.v.). Brew houses are known locally as malt houses'.





Listing NGR: SO3233288562

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 32338 88591

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1109939 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 03:13:24.

End of official listing