This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER BOUNDARY WALL OF HIGHCLIFFE CASTLE ALONG LYMINGTON ROAD (FROM OPPOSITE NEA ROAD TO FORMER LODGES - WITH GAP AT ENTRANCE TO ROTHESAY DRIVE)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER BOUNDARY WALL OF HIGHCLIFFE CASTLE ALONG LYMINGTON ROAD (FROM OPPOSITE NEA ROAD TO FORMER LODGES - WITH GAP AT ENTRANCE TO ROTHESAY DRIVE)

List entry Number: 1110117

Location

FORMER BOUNDARY WALL OF HIGHCLIFFE CASTLE ALONG LYMINGTON ROAD (FROM OPPOSITE NEA ROAD TO FORMER LODGES - WITH GAP AT ENTRANCE TO ROTHESAY DRIVE), LYMINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: Christchurch

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 101535

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SZ 2093 CHRISTCHURCH LYMINGTON ROAD (Southside)

748/13/407 Former boundary wall of 12.2.76 Highcliffe Castle along Lymington Road (from opposite Nea Road to former lodges - with gap at entrance to Rothesay Drive

GV II

Former boundary wall to Highcliffe Castle. Circa 1830, repaired C20. Hitch's patent brick in rat-trap and stretcher bond with triangular brick coping and buttresses. About 1.5 m tall, now in four sections. The wall was probably built during Donthorne's remodelling of Highcliffe Castle in 1830-4. In 1828 Caleb Hitch, a Ware [in Herts.] brickmaker, was granted a patent for large interlocking bricks with cavities. They were laid on edge and claimed to be more economical than standard bricks, but because of the complicated form of brick required to turn a corner many different patterns had to be produced. Consequently, they were not widely adopted and outside Ware Hitch bricks are very rare.



Listing NGR: SZ2025293401

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SZ 20252 93401

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110117 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 02:36:40.

End of official listing