593 and 594 Hammond Street

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110475

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Mar-2017

Statutory Address: Mappowder, Sturminster Newton, Dorset

Map

Ordnance survey map of 593 and 594 Hammond Street
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110475 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 19:13:58.

Location

Statutory Address: Mappowder, Sturminster Newton, Dorset

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset (District Authority)

Parish: Mappowder

National Grid Reference: ST7346206086

Summary

Pair of former estate cottages, mid-C19, with late-C20 and early-C21 extensions and some alterations. The extensions are not included in the listing.

Reasons for Designation

Nos.593 and 594 Hammond Street in Mappowder, a pair of mid-C19 cottages, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: a pair of cottages built for farm labourers and their families which has a modest, yet distinctive character and represents a legible example of Victorian estate architecture; * Historic interest: as part of a planned group of similar estate cottages in the village, of which five have been listed at Grade II.

History

Until 1863 the Mappowder estate was owned by the Spencer family who sold the estate, together with their house Mappowder Court, to the Wingfield Digby family of Sherborne. Nos. 593 and 594 Hammond Street are part of a group of paired estate cottages situated on either side of the road as it enters the village that provided workers’ accommodation. They date probably from the mid-C19 or slightly earlier, and the Census of 1891 records that most of the dwellings in the village were occupied by farm labourers. The estate was sold to Arthur Hugh Clough at the beginning of the First World War and it was farmed by his nephew John Fisher until 1947, although some of the estate was sold in the depression the mid-1930s.

When built Nos.593 and 594 Hammond Street each had a two-room ground-floor plan to which a single-storey rear extension containing a kitchen and bathroom was added at a later date. Both cottages have been extended to the rear in the late C20 and early C21 respectively, replacing the earlier rear additions. In c.2004 a single-storey extension was built on the side (N) of No.594 and it also has a timber conservatory to the rear.

Details

Pair of former estate cottages, mid-C19, with late-C20 and early-C21 extensions and some alterations. The extensions are not included in the listing.

MATERIALS: the earliest part of the building is constructed of cut and squared limestone rubble brought to course under a hipped roof of plain tiles with a central chimneystack to the ridge. The various modern extensions are mostly of matching materials and are not of special interest.

PLAN: originally rectangular on plan. Each semi-detached cottage is of two bays and had a two-room plan to which a single-storey rear addition was later added. Rear extensions to each cottage and a side addition to No.594 have been added in the late C20 and early C21.

EXTERIOR: the front, roadside (W) elevation with ground-floor openings under segmental stone arches. Each cottage as an entrance with early-C21 plank door and a two-light timber window to the ground floor and two timber first-floor windows; those to the right-hand half (No.593) are of early-C21 date. To the side (N) return of No.594 is a modern timber window under a concrete lintel, while the modern window in the S return of No.593 has a segmental stone lintel. The extensions mask the other elevations of the original building.

INTERIOR: No.594: the entrance door opens into a room with large fireplace with a chamfered timber bressumer and the remains of a bread oven. The position of the original staircase (not extant) is marked by a slight changing in ceiling height to the side of the chimneybreast. A plank, ledge and brace door connects through to a smaller room, and a doorway from this room, originally leading to the rear of the cottage, has a pegged timber surround. The first floor is now accessed from stairs in the rear extension. No historic features are evident in the two first-floor rooms in the original cottage, but the mid-C19 pegged roof timbers survive. These comprise principal rafters, with a collar to the central truss, and single rows of staggered purlins. No.593 not inspected internally (2016), but it is understood that the ground-floor partition between the two rooms has been removed and that the first-floor partition has been re-sited.

Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the late-C20 and early-C21 extensions, the detached garage to No.593 are not of special architectural or historic interest.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 102582

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Dorset, Volume 3, Central (London, 1970), pp. 145-148. British History Online , accessed 31 October 2016 from http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rchme/dorset/vol3/pp145-148
Historic Buildings of Dorset, Mappowder Court, accessed 31 October 2016 from http://www.geni.com/projects/Historic-Buildings-of-Dorset-England/25093

End of official listing