Abbey Church of St Mary

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1110824
Date first listed:
28-Nov-1950
Statutory Address:
Abbey Church of St Mary, Abbey Close

Map

Ordnance survey map of Abbey Church of St Mary
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110824 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 20:14:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
Abbey Church of St Mary, Abbey Close

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Dorset
District:
West Dorset (District Authority)
Parish:
Sherborne
National Grid Reference:
ST 63792 16489

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/12/2017

ST 6316 689/1/1

ABBEY CLOSE, Abbey Church of St Mary

28.11.50.

GV

I Saxon west wall below clerestory with foundations of Saxon tower and transepts facing west. C15 Church of All Hallows built against this wall; lower part of north-aisle wall remains as a boundary wall between Sherborne School and Abbey Close. South front of Abbey early C12 (work of Roger of Caen) and C15. Central Tower with Saxon-Norman base and C15 work above.

Nave: five irregular bays; piers with C15 casing to a Saxon core. Late C15 fan vaulting. North aisle: C12 and late C15; lierne vault. North transept: Norman walls.

Wykeham Chapel: Norman walls and C15 vault. Choir of three bays and north and south choir aisles: C15. Reredos: C17 to design of R.H Carpenter. Bishop Roger's Chapel: C13. Vestry: C16, part of former headmaster's house [1560] which extended across the whole of the width of the east end of the Abbey. Lady Chapel: one bay of C14 work and one bay further east of C20 work, 1921, to design of W.D Caröe. Chapel of St Mary le Bow: C15 and C16; east wall and south windows built 1560 as part of Headmaster's House [See Vestry]. Chapel of Holy Sepulchre: C14 and C15 rebuildings. South transept: early C12 and C15 work; Digby Memorial. St Katharine's Chapel: C12, and C13 and C14. South Aisle: early C12 and C15. Porch: early C12, restored 1849-58. 1849-58: restoration of transepts, choir and Norman porch by R.C Carpenter and W Slater. 1884: restoration of tower by R.H Carpenter.

All the listed buildings in Abbey Close form a group with the east end of No. 1 Finger Lane.

Listing NGR: ST6380416492

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
103812
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Dorset, (1952)
Fowler, J, Medieval Sherborne
Gibb, J H P , Sherborne Abbey

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/07148/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Judy Nash. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].