PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1110862

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1953

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, FAMBRIDGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110862 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 03:43:57.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, FAMBRIDGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Althorne

National Grid Reference: TQ 90903 98926

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALTHORNE FAMBRIDGE ROAD TQ 99 NW (north side) 6/3 Parish Church of 11.53 St Andrew - II*

Parish church. Late C14, altered in early C16, restored in C20. Dressed flint and stone rubble, with dressings of limestone, clunch and red brick. Chancel of red brick in English bond. Roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Nave late C14. Chancel early C16. W tower c.1500. S porch C18. The Chancel has windows in the E, N and S walls substantially C20, and a substantially C20 S doorway. The Chancel-arch is C20 except for the plain responds. The Nave has in the N wall 3 windows; the 2 eastern windows are C15, partly restored, each of 2 trefoiled lights in a 4-centred head with a moulded label; the western window is late C15, of 2 pointed lights in a square head with moulded label; the heads of all 3 windows have been rebuilt, with alternate flint and red brick voussoirs externally. Between the 2 western windows is the C14 N doorway of clunch, with moulded jambs and 2-centred arch, much decayed externally, plain internally, blocked with red brick. At the E end of the wall is a rood stair, projecting externally, with a plain lower doorway with square head, blocked. The upper doorway is in the angle of the N and E walls, each of which has half an arch of 4-centred curvature, rebuilt. In the S wall are 3 windows uniform with those in the N wall. Between the western windows is the C14 S doorway, with moulded jambs and 4-centred arch. Moulded cornice and crenellated parapet, restored. The W tower is in 3 stages, with a stair-turret in the NE corner. The 2-centred tower-arch is of 3 chamfered orders, the lower part blocked, and the responds rebuilt in brick. The W window is C20. Flanking it are 2 plain crosses of brick. The W doorway has moulded jambs and segmental-pointed arch with a moulded label enriched with carved flowers. The S and W walls of the second stage have each a window with a trefoiled head and jambs carved with flowers. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window of 2 cinquefoiled lights under a 4-centred head with moulded label. The stair-turret is lit by 2 chamfered loops and 2 quatrefoils. There is a string at the level of the bell-chamber windows, a moulded cornice, and a crenellated parapet faced with dressed flint in a trellis pattern of stone, restored. Above the W doorway is an inscription in black letter '+ Orate pro animabus dominorum Johannis Wylson et Johannis Hyll quorum animabus propicietur deus amen', decayed at the bottom. The plain C18 S porch is cement-rendered. Fittings: In the S wall of the nave is a C15 piscina with rounded head and round drain. The font, c.1400, has an octagonal bowl with sunk panels richly carved with figures (a) baptism of a king (b) man and woman (c) king and queen (d) seraph (e) 2 men with scrolls (f) martyrdom of St Andrew (g) 2 figures of men, a moulded under-edge carved with angels (defaced), panelled stem, with 2 ranges of cusped panels divided by a crenellated band, and a moulded base carved with square flowers. In the nave there are brasses (1) of William Hyklott, 1508, 'which paide for the werkmanship of the wall of this churche', figure in civil costume, Trinity, and indents of 2 children (2) to Margaret Hyklott, 1502, figures of 2 daughters, one habited as a nun, a Virgin and child, indent only of main figure. Under the font is a floor slab to Elizabeth Gordon, 1701. There are 2 bells, the first by Thomas Harrys, late C15, inscribed 'Vox Augustine Sonet in Aure Dei', the second by Miles Graye, 1638. There is a roughly scratched sundial on a S buttress of the nave. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TQ9090398926

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117369

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing