HAZELEIGH GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1110870

Date first listed: 30-May-1986

Statutory Address: HAZELEIGH GRANGE, BURNHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAZELEIGH GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 04:12:39.

Location

Statutory Address: HAZELEIGH GRANGE, BURNHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Hazeleigh

National Grid Reference: TL 82204 03604

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAZELEIGH BURNHAM ROAD TL 80 SW (south side) 1/22 Hazeleigh Grange GV II

House. Early C17, extended in C17/C18 and early C19. Timber framed, weatherboarded and plastered, partly of painted brick, roofed with slate. 3 bays facing E, with central stack forming a lobby-entrance. C17/C18 service range to rear of central and right bays. Early C19 range to front, comprising central entrance/stair hall and one room each side, with 2 internal stacks at rear. Single-storey extensions with hipped roofs at each side of front block. 2 storeys with cellars. Ground floor, 2 C20 French windows. First floor, 3 mid-C19 sashes of 4 lights with some handmade glass. Central double doors, half-glazed, in early C19 portico with 2 fluted columns, and conventional ornament on frieze and soffit. Hipped roofs of shallow pitch with long overhanging eaves. Curved primary tension bracing. The original building and the rear extension have chamfered transverse beams with lamb's tongue stops, and plain joists of vertical section. 2 large wood-burning hearths, much altered in C20. The original front had oriel or frieze windows at both storeys, blocked by the early C19 range, now exposed internally, with jambs and mullions of refined ovolo section. Roof of original building rebuilt to a lower pitch with some evidence remaining that the attic was lit and used. The entrance hall has the original early C19 stair, with stick balusters. Original folding shutters. The house was described in a detailed sale catalogue of 1817, at which time it had recently reached its present form, except that it was then stuccoed. It was known as Hazeleigh Cottage, and was the farmhouse of a farm of 54 acres, mainly freehold. In 1717 it was called the White House. (Essex Record Office, D/DOp B.123/40 and D/AER 30/171).

Listing NGR: TL8220403604

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117380

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing