PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1110882

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1953

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1110882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 00:49:50.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Purleigh

National Grid Reference: TL 84137 02035

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PURLEIGH CHURCH HILL TL 80 SW (south side) 1/87 Parish Church of All 11.53 Saints GV I Parish church. Mainly C14, restored in C19. Ragstone, septaria, dressed flint and yellow brick, with dressings of limestone and clunch. Porch of red brick in English bond. Roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Chancel, Nave, N and S aisles, and W tower, all rebuilt in the C14, beginning at the E end, but the irregular plan suggests an earlier origin, of which some fabric may survive at the W end of the Nave and S aisle. S porch c.1500. N and W walls of the N aisle rebuilt in the C18. Restored in C19, when the chancel-arch, the upper part of the S arcade, and parts of the aisle walls were rebuilt. The Chancel is of coursed squared ragstone with complete courses at irregular intervals of small yellow bricks, possibly Flemish, which are also used in the original window arches. The C14 E window is of 4 cinquefoiled lights with tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded rear-arch and labels. In the N wall are 2 C14 windows, each of 2 cinquefoiled lights with a sexfoil in a 2-centred head with wave-moulded rear-arch and moulded labels. Between them is a C14 tomb-recess, with moulded segmental-pointed arch, the label destroyed. In the S wall are 2 similar windows, and between them is a C14 doorway with segmental-pointed arch and moulded internal label, blocked. The 4-centred chancel-arch is of 2 chamfered orders; the chamfered responds have moulded capitals and bases; this is C15, reconstructed in the Cl9. The Nave has an early C14 N arcade of 3 bays with 2-centred arches of 2 chamfered orders; the octagonal piers have moulded capitals and bases, and the responds have similar half-piers. Below the capitals of the E respond and easternmost pier are carved shields of arms, both cut away for a later screen, now missing. The S arcade is of similar date and architectural detail, except that the orders of the arches die on to octagonal tas-de-charge; the arches have been partly reconstructed in the C19. Mutilations in the capitals of the easternmost arch indicate the addition of a screen, now missing. The N aisle is of septaria and ragstone rubble with some brick and tile, with some yellow bricks in the arch of the E window. The C14 E window is of 2 cinquefoiled lights with a sexfoil in a 2-centred arch with wave-moulded rear-arch and moulded labels. In the N wall (rebuilt in the C18) are 2 windows; the eastern is late C14, much restored, of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a square head with a moulded label; the western is C15, much restored, of 2 cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in a segmental head with moulded rear-arch and label. Between the windows is the C14 N doorway with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 orders, one wave-moulded and one chamfered, the rear-arch chamfered. The C14 door is of V-edged planks, restored at the bottom, with 2 strap-hinges and one extra strap at the top, blocked internally. The S aisle has an E window similar to that of the N aisle, but with headstops to both labels. The N wall has a late C14 window similar to that in the S aisle, also much restored. Further W is the C14 S doorway, with jambs and 2-centred arch of 2 wave-moulded orders, with a moulded label with decayed headstops. The C14 S doors are of V-edged planks restored at the bottom, each leaf having 4 iron straps with incised patterns; one strap includes a domed scutcheon-plate, with a cable-twist ring handle, C14; the rear frames are covered by C19 planking. The W window is C19, except the splays and wave-moulded 2-centred rear-arch, C14. The W wall of the S aisle is angled in relation to the axis, possibly a remnant of an earlier fabric. The W tower is mid-C14, in 4 stages with moulded plinth and strings. The first and second stages are of alternate courses of dressed flint and squared ragstone, with one band of small yellow bricks and two bands of chequered flushwork; the courses dip to meet the arches radially. The third and fourth stages are of pebble rubble. The 2-centred tower-arch is of 2 orders, one wave-moulded and one chamfered, the inner order dying on to the responds. On each side of it are offsets which may be remnants of an earlier nave. The W doorway has moulded jambs and 2-centred arch, and shallow wave-mouldings to the rear-arch, with moulded label and headstops, one wholly decayed. The N, S and W walls of the second stage have each a window of 2 trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a 2-centred head, with a moulded label and headstops, some decayed. The N, S and W walls of the third stage have each a window of 2 trefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a 2-centred head with moulded label, and the E wall has a pointed opening into the Nave, with rear-arch of rubble, covered in the Nave by an C18 royal arms. The bell-chamber has in each wall a window similar to those of the third stage. On the E wall, above the present roof, is the weathering of the original Nave roof. There is a crenellated parapet, and a modern roof of low pitch. The S porch is of red brick, c.1500. The outer archway has chamfered jambs and 4-centred arch. In the E wall is a window of two 4-centred lights in a 4-centred head; in the W wall is a window of one 4-centred light. Moulded cornice. The roof of the porch is in one bay, of crownpost construction, with moulded tiebeams and wallplates, a weatherboarded gable, soulaces to every rafter couple, and renewed collar-purlin and axial braces. Fittings. In the Chancel is a piscina with moulded jambs, cinquefoiled head and quatrefoiled drain, in range with sedilia of 3 bays with moulded jambs and cinquefoiled heads, C14, partly restored. In the S aisle is a C15 piscina with triangular head and broken drain. There is in situ C14 glass in the heads of the N and S windows of the Chancel, tabernacle work, borders etc.; in the head of the E window of the N aisle, black and white foliage; in the heads of the N windows, tabernacle work, crowns, and fragments of borders, in the head of the E window of the S aisle, a leopard's head and foliage; and in the head of the S window, tabernacle work. The communion rails are c.1700, with moulded rail and turned balusters. The pulpit, c.1700, is hexagonal, the angles enriched with fruit, foliage and tasselled ribbons, with fielded panels and guilloche and foliate borders (one panel with a rose boss), moulded cornice, tapering stem, carved base, and stair with twist-turned balusters. In the Chancel are brasses (1) to Margaret (Rande), wife of John Freake, rector, 1592, inscription only, (2) to Cecily, widow of Edmund Freake, bishop of Worcester, 1599, inscription only, (3) to John Freake, rector of Purleigh and archdeacon of Norwich, 1604, inscription only. In the Chancel are floor-slabs (1) to Elizabeth, wife of John Burton, 1624, black marble with shield of arms, (2) to Rev. Thomas Shaw, 1785, and Anna his widow, 1814, black marble, and (3) to Rev. Roger Hayne, 1810, and Elizabeth his widow, 1817, limestone. There are 6 bells, the third to sixth by Miles Graye, 1636. In the S aisle are framed boards with the Lord's Prayer, Ten Commandments and the Creed painted in gold on black, C18. In the N aisle is a similar board of benefactions. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8413702035

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 117415

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing