This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1111050

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Totham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 118955

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 81 SE GREAT TOTHAM CHURCH ROAD

4/118 Church of St. Peter 30.12.59 GV II*

Parish Church. Chancel and nave C13 or C14. C19 north aisle, vestry and organ chamber, south vestry and porch, C19 restorations and rebuilt bell-turret. Walls of flint rubble, puddingstone, freestone and oolite. Red plain tiled roofs with terracotta finials. Shingle clad spire. Chancel east wall with red brick angle buttresses. 3 light window with circular tracery over under a 2 centre arched head. South and east walls have lancet eastern windows of unknown date. East wall of north vestry, C19 2 pierced lancets with pointed quatrefoil over. Band to gable with niche and statue over. Flint buttress to north angle, north wall of vestry and north aisle. To east a cusped trefoil single light window in a 2 centre arched head. 2 centre arched doorway with vertically boarded door. Label follows through to door from east buttress. There is a buttress to west of this vestry/organ chamber door and one to wall west angle. Three 2 light windows to north aisle and one to west wall similar to east wall. Nave C14 west window of 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a square head. Herringbone tile panel over. Bell turret with lower vertical slit and 2 light upper louvre. Much puddingstone to this wall. Nave south wall C19 gabled porch. Flint and timber framed with brick nogging. Single lights to returns. Carved spandrels to ogee archway. Buttresses to Eight and left of porch. To the east of the porch is a C14 window of 2 ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a 2 centred head. Easternmost C16 restored window of 3 lights with vertical tracery and crenellated transoms under a 3 centred head. South door vertically boarded under a moulded 2 centred arch. C19 south chapel sometimes known as De Crespigny Chapel, with angle buttress, 2 light window in a 2 centre arch, 2 centre arched doorway with circular window to gable. Interior. Chancel C15 boarded 7 cant roof with bosses, all with C20 painting. C15 moulded wall plate. Circa 1881 stained glass to east window. Circa 1949 carved and panelled reredos. Victorian patterned tile floor. C14 restored piscina with 2 centred head and octofoil drain. Brass of Elizabeth (Pilborough) wife of Richard Coke 1606 and their daughter Elizabeth, wife of Thomas Wilde, 2 women in ruffs and farthingales, 3 shields of arms, a rubbing on north wall as brass not now visible. C19 doorway with trefoil head under a 2 centred arch leads into the De Crespigny south chapel, with C19/C20 wall monuments to this family. To north wall a 2 centred arch with moulded bases and capitals to shafts, leads into the organ chamber. Sedilia, plain stone slab below south east window. There is no chancel arch but a tie beam with moulded brackets and wall plates. To the west of this tie beam embedded in Nave south wall is a C15 fragment of the former moulded rood beam and part of the rail. Piscina, C14 with 2 centred head and square drain. C19/C20 semi-circular carved wooden pulpit on stone base. 7 cant roof with moulded tie beams and wall plates. North east corner of roof with 3 plastered and painted infill panels, said to be remains of 3 winged figures. C16 stained glass quarries with flowers and foliage to south windows. C19 north arcade of 3 bays, chamfered and moulded 2 centred arches, moulded bases and capitals to shafts. Restored timber bell turret with moulded tie beams, arched braces and wall plates. The bell turret has to each face original traceried 2 cinquefoiled lights. Painted organ beautified 1893. Font C19/C20 circular bowl, with inscribed rim, on 4 shafts with moulded capitals and bases, square centre columns. Spiral wrought iron cover. Painting on south wall "The Adoration of the Magi". Rev. Eyre came from Coggeshall, Essex to this church late C19 and the Honeywood family of Marks Hall, Coggeshall donated £2,500 towards the restoration of the Church. RCHM I.

Listing NGR: TL8619811021

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 86198 11021

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111050 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 10:54:58.

End of official listing