HEATH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111060

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: HEATH HOUSE, BRAXTED ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HEATH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111060 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 13:05:19.

Location

Statutory Address: HEATH HOUSE, BRAXTED ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Little Braxted

National Grid Reference: TL 85221 12956

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 81 SE LITTLE BRAXTED BRAXTED ROAD

4/164 Heath House

- II

House. C17/C18 left range. Circa 1905 right crosswing. 1936 rear range. Original cottage timber framed and plastered. Crosswing plastered red brick with batten decoration. Rear range of red brick. Red plain tiled roofs. 2 red brick chimney stacks each with 3 diagonal shafts. Left range one storey and attics with 3 gabled dormers, 2 storey crosswing. The original cottage was exended and converted into a Tudor style house for a Mr. Wilson of the London Auctioneers, Puttock and Simpson. He had collected many Tudor, Jacobean and later house items and these are now incorporated in the building. The 1936 rear extension is of good quality with moulded brick work to window and door open- ings. 3:1 window range of ornamental leaded vari-light windows all with wrought iron ornamental catches, that to crosswing first floor an oriel. Plank and muntin door to left range with segmental pointed head, surround with foliate carved spandrels. Plain vertical battens to ground floor. Circular and vertical battens to crosswing above jetty, simulating Shropshire style framing. Carved crossed armed men jetty brackets. Foliate carved bressumer to jetty. A similar bressumer to gable, the centre carved with a man's head, shield, 1905 and "W". Vine carved bargeboards with pendant to gable. Similar carved bargeboards with finials and pendants to dormers. All carvings heavy and of fine quality. The interior contains much good detail including segmental pointed arches to hall passage. Main hall with carved Jacobean fire surround, Delft tile backing and iron fireback with Royal coat of arms inscribed ER. Staircase with barley sugar twist balusters. The upper landing with rail and muntin oak panelling. All window frames are iron and the surrounds are stop chamfered. Crosswing drawing room with moulded frieze and cornice and moulded fire surround. Most doors have segmental pointed heads, are plank and muntin with carved spandrels to surrounds. There is a possibly Jacobean copy fire surround in one bedroom with original overmantel of 3 panels, the centre of Marquetry. Original Delft tile lining. Other bedrooms with cast iron fire surrounds. The bathroom has a small cast iron Art Nouveau fireplace and a bath with original plunger. Original ceiling beams and stop chamfered bridging joists to left range.

Listing NGR: TL8522112956

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118980

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing