PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111217

Date first listed: 29-May-1984

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111217 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 16:22:46.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Loughton

National Grid Reference: TQ 42267 96176

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 49 NW LOUGHTON HIGH ROAD, 1/36 Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin - II

Parish church, 1872, by Thomas Henry Watson. Random Godalming stone with bonding courses of 3 layers of red clay tiles at irregular intervals, limestone dressings, plastered internally, roofed with late C19 red clay plain tiles. Chancel with semi-octagonal apse, 2 transepts, nave with two aisles and S porch, choir vestry to N of chancel, vicar's vestry to S of chancel, all contemporary. All windows have 2-centred arches and 2-centred tracery except where otherwise stated. Th chancel has 3 windows with 2-centred arches and 2 2-centred lights with a round shaft between and trefoil above; the lower walls are lined with carved oak panelling. The chancel arch is 2-centred. The arcades are of 4 bays with 2-centred arches on round piers with carved capitals of naturalistic floriate and foliate designs, all different, executed by an unknown carver, 1872-1886. The clerestory windows appear on the outside as trefoils, quatrefoils and a cinquefoil, on the inside as double lights with 2-centred arches and a round light above. The S doorway has a 2-centred arch with Mannerist rusticated jambs, the stonework on the outside left unfinished where carved detail might be expected. The choir vestry has a timber dormer to the E with 4 ogee-headed lights, leaded. The roof of the chancel is of high quality, arched ribs converging to meet arch-braced collar-trusses. The roof of the nave is of 7 cants, the timber exposed. The roof of the N transept is of 6 cants, the timber exposed, the S transept presumably similar but not visible. The pulpit is of limestone with naturalistic floriate carving. The font is of marble, round and plain. The construction is fully recorded in K. A. Vine: 'the Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin, Loughton, a short history, 1967, copy in Essex Record Office.

Listing NGR: TQ4226796176

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118630

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Vine, K A , The Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin Loughton A Short History

End of official listing