CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1111220

Date first listed: 29-May-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, RECTORY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1111220 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 04:54:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, RECTORY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Loughton

National Grid Reference: TQ 43917 96457

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 49 NW LOUGHTON RECTORY LANE, 1/40 Church of St. Nicholas GV II

Anglican church, 1877. Coursed rubble with stone dressings, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. Chancel and nave in one rectangular plan aligned approx. NE-SW, with timber porch to NW and vestry with lean-to roof to SE. In NE wall one 2-centred window with 3 trefoiled lights and quatrefoils over, diagonal buttresses, and foundation stone inscribed AM 1877. In NW wall, N doorway with 2-centred arch, one 2-centred window with 2 trefoiled lights and quatrefoil over. In SE wall one similar smaller window NE of vestry. In SW wall one 2-centred window with 4 trefoiled lights and 2-centred tracery over, 3 buttresses, and bellcote. The C18 boundary wall of Loughton Hall abuts each side of the SW end, aligned with it, showing that the church was sited at this orientation to adjust to the existing wall, with the SW end of the church inside the private grounds. An inscription at the NE end states that the church was erected by Anne Maitland. Some features are retained from the former church, E of the present building, as below. Brasses: In chancel - (1) of (Abel Guilliams, 1637) with figures of man and wife kneeling at a desk, six sons and four daughters, inscription and shield lost; (2) of William Nodes, 1594, and Elizabeth (Wollsey) his wife, figure of man and eight sons with their names, figures of wife and daughters missing; (3) of (George Stonard, 1558) plate with figures of man in armour and wife, each in round-headed niches, inscription lost; (4) of John Stonnard, 1541, and Joan and Katheryn, his wives, with figures of man and two women. Cupboard: In chancel - in N. wall, with elaborately carved double doors of small size, flanked by columns and strapwork and surmounted by entablature; on panel below doors, painting of the Annunciation, late 16th-century. Glass: In N and S windows - two kneeling figures with coloured nimbi, early 16th-century.

Listing NGR: TQ4391796457

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118639

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing